• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can I tell the difference between sedge and reed warblers? (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

In this part of the world I don't normally have a problem - they are all sedge warblers! However, a recent visit to southern England gave me my first chance to catch up with reed warblers for a couple of years, and as they are showing signs of extending their range in this direction, I thought I should make the effort to try and distinguish their songs.

I heard more than I saw, and these two recordings are of birds that I didn't see but which I have attempted to identify. The recordings are not great -lots of wind noise and some include the sound of my daughter running up and down the hide (don't worry - no one else was there!), but I reckon the first one sounds fast and furious and much like the Sedge Warblers that I hear at home, while the second two (which I think are both of the same bird) sound slightly more laid back and may be a reed warbler. Am I right or wrong?

Attachments

• Sedge warbler.mp3
    137.6 KB · Views: 208
  • Reed Warbler 1.mp3
    194 KB · Views: 147
  • Reed Warbler 2.mp3
    236 KB · Views: 133
"Sedge warbler" is definitely a sedge warbler.
"Reed warbler 1" is definitely a reed warbler. The last seconds of this recording also contains the song of a sedge warbler.
"Reed warbler 2" sounds like a slow sedge warbler. I think it's the same one that is heard at the end of "RW1".
/ulf

Thanks for posting this Capercaillie. We've just been in the Suffolk reedbeds, struggling with exactly the same problem :) We started from zero experience. Catching a few reed at a ringing session didn't help with calls :-(

Mike.

"Sedge warbler" is definitely a sedge warbler.
"Reed warbler 1" is definitely a reed warbler. The last seconds of this recording also contains the song of a sedge warbler.
"Reed warbler 2" sounds like a slow sedge warbler.

I agree completely. "Reed warbler 2" is a Sedge Warbler.

I have a similar problem. The vast majority of reedbed warblers round my way are sedge but there's usually the odd reed warbler present. I've never been able to track down a reed warbler yet, although I know where they are meant to be present, I've heard a few likely singing candidates but they could just as easily have been slow sedgies.

Listened to the last two recordings there and while the last definately sounds sedge-like I would have difficulty telling them apart without a sighting. What I need to do is get a sighting of a reed warbler in song- then it will stick.

Reed Warblers always have a definite rhythm to them, about two beats to the second.
Sedges just chatter brilliantly away.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back