• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Okinawa, Japan - April 2014 (1 Viewer)

Dave 2x

I have just returned from 6 day trip to Okinawa...being a family holiday I only had only one night and one morning allocated for birding/photography.

My main target was the Okinawa Rail which turned out to be pretty easy to find. Upon arrival at the Ada Garden Hotel in heavy rain, I could hear the rails all around but it took a bit of patience before a couple crossed the road.

Spotlighting at night with my guide Kimio Kanda (highly recommended, extremely knowledgeable guide) produced many more rails. Apparently these rails are sensitive to bright lights so no flash photography and when spotlighted he quickly filtered the light so as not to disturb them.

Spotlighting also produced Ryukyu Scops Owl and a couple of Northern Boobooks.

The next morning produced many more rails as they are extremely active in the first couple of hours of light. Further birds including a few Okinawa Woodpeckers, Varied Tit, Japanese Tit, Pale Thrush, Pygmy Woodpecker, Zitting Cisticola, Japanese Bush-Warbler, Dusky Thrush. Narcissus Flycatcher and Ryukyu Robin were heard only.

Animals seen included Ryukyu Flying Fox, Small Asian Mongoose, Habu, Sword-tailed Newt.

Here's a few photos, will add some more later...

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Small Asian Mongoose.jpg
    Small Asian Mongoose.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Varied Tit 2.jpg
    Varied Tit 2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Okinawa Rail.jpg
    Okinawa Rail.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Ryukyu Scops-Owl.jpg
    Ryukyu Scops-Owl.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 116
Wow, you are really picking up the asian species. The amamii ssp of Varied Tit is a definite winner among the other ssp. Great shot of the the Rail and the Owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back