• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holiday (1 Viewer)

hello Birders!
Yet another holiday question......... ;). If I was going to the sillys would it be better (for me as I havnt been before) to go with a group and guide or venture out on my own???? I only as because if there was a rarity I just wonderd if they would take us to it???? Because I wouldnt want to miss any :). Many thanks New Forest Birder

hello Birders!
Yet another holiday question......... ;). If I was going to the sillys would it be better (for me as I havnt been before) to go with a group and guide or venture out on my own???? I only as because if there was a rarity I just wonderd if they would take us to it???? Because I wouldnt want to miss any :). Many thanks New Forest Birder

I dont know about the sillys but going to the Scillies (or Isles of Scilly as they prefer to be called) in the autumn it doesnt really matter. Most of the birds get out on the news services so if you have a pager / news info to your mobile (albeit variable reception) you should pick up on everything thats about. Likewise there is a good camaraderie between birders on the island and information is often exchanged in the field. The downsides are (a) the accommodation cost, as presumably you would have to go B+B unless you brave the campsites (b) the travel cost down to Cornwall and parking if you fly and (c) the sometimes bewildering array of names - certainly if travelling alone its worth getting a decent map, more for the place names than the road / footpath network. I am not sure what "added value" a guided party would give unless you are a less experienced birder without access to information services and arent 100% sure about your ability to recognise everything in the field.

Gorgeous location and often good weather for late Sept / October, plus the ability to find your own rarities and scarcities, you will love in alone or as part of a group!

Last edited:
Hi, yes sorry I am not the best at spelling haha! Thanks for the info. I felt confident to go out on my own.........but I wasn't sure wether if there was any 'added values' to being guided. Thanks a bundle. Nf birder

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back