• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20 Questions (1 Viewer)

That's an intruiging clue - can't think of anything offhand..mmmm

To be more precise they still can perch on trees/bushes during nesting season! But they are generally not a lot of trees, some bushes maybe, and that's not generally in them they'll find their favourite food!

Sorry I don't know how to quote several messages in one!

Hi Maelle

If you look at the bottom right of the posts, you will see some buttons... Quote... MultiQuote... Quick Reply

Click on Multiquote for each post you want to reply to, then click on the orange Post Reply button at the bottom left of the page.

All the posts you want to reply to will be on the message pane.

Hope this helps.

Hi Maelle

If you look at the bottom right of the posts, you will see some buttons... Quote... MultiQuote... Quick Reply

Click on Multiquote for each post you want to reply to, then click on the orange Post Reply button at the bottom left of the page.

All the posts you want to reply to will be on the message pane.

Hope this helps.

It helped :) Thank you very much!

10 hard seeds (grain, etc.; not so much soft berries) in winter?

10 - No, in winter they eat fruits, berries, seeds, insects...

13 - They can regularly be found in the same habitat during breeding season, but not in winter (winter range don't overlap)

Ring Ouzel's only a short-distance migrant. It'll need to be something that winters either in southern Africa (Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush winters in tropical Africa), or else migrates southeast to southern Asia. I'm stuck, for the moment!

Ring Ouzel's only a short-distance migrant. It'll need to be something that winters either in southern Africa (Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush winters in tropical Africa), or else migrates southeast to southern Asia. I'm stuck, for the moment!

You're on the good track! It's maybe the time to give a clue, no one has found yet the good family. Now any question you want can be asked!

Yep - of course NC ;) Nevertheless, the phrase long distance migrant is a little ambiguous until an official minimum distance to qualify is applicable! Some Ring Ouzels do do a couple of 1,000 kms - so not always such a short distance migrant. Of course transaharian migrant leaves no doubt on the matter.

For me, unless one of the clues is not so clear cut, can't be a WP breeding species. So it would have to be a bird of Asian uplands within range of R-t Rock Thrush. One notable clue is that invertebrates don't form a major part of its diet in the wintering quarters - I'm foxed!

One fine idea I had was White-throated Robin it seemed to fit except that it does sing in flight.

Maëlle - you chose a very hard one ;) :t:

Yep - of course NC ;) Nevertheless, the phrase long distance migrant is a little ambiguous until an official minimum distance to qualify is applicable! Some Ring Ouzels do do a couple of 1,000 kms - so not always such a short distance migrant. Of course transaharian migrant leaves no doubt on the matter.
I'd said "over 4,000 km" in my question ;)

For me, unless one of the clues is not so clear cut, can't be a WP breeding species. So it would have to be a bird of Asian uplands within range of R-t Rock Thrush. One notable clue is that invertebrates don't form a major part of its diet in the wintering quarters - I'm foxed!

One fine idea I had was White-throated Robin it seemed to fit except that it does sing in flight.

Maëlle said we've not had the family yet, so Muscicapidae is out (Black Redstart, asked #11 by foresttwitcher :t:

Not that hard actually! and yes that's probably because I haven't been clear enough, insects are still an important part of the diet in winter, but they are not anymore the almost exclusive one.

I'd said "over 4,000 km" in my question ;)

Maëlle said we've not had the family yet, so Muscicapidae is out (Black Redstart, asked #11 by foresttwitcher :t:

About the distance of the migration, I found it indeed hard to answer as there is no exact definition of a long distance migrant, I should have been more precise : 4000 km seemed a good average distance, they travel at the minimum about 1000 km (from the southern limit of the breeding ground to the northern limit to the wintering ground)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back