• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mockingbird night song (1 Viewer)

zee

I camped by a mockingbird this April. Though my book says in the west of the US, they have shorter song cycles, I counted two of this guy's continuous songs and he had 28 and 35 unique (I believe--it's possible he repeated one and I didn't notice) sounds.

On the night of the full moon, he sang all night. (ALLLL night, right outside my window. He apparently liked me, for nothing I did seemed to disturb him, and he perched no less than two feet from me for most of a week)

I know that they do sing at night; I was wondering if anyone knew if the moon's phases influenced this--are they less likely to sing all night if it's the new mooon or overcast?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back