• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

I'm really surprised and humbled that people are still referring people to these settings I posted so long ago. There are a lot of people who have been posting in this thread who know so much more how to use the P and Tv and Av mode than i do. To be honest they confuse me.

But, for someone who just got this camera and is no expert on Ps and Tv and Av, like me, and just wants to get going taking gratifying photos, below is what I have settled on as my standard settings.

These I use for C1 an C2
1*** AF Frame:*** Flexizone This forces the focus in the box in the center of the screen.
2*** Digital Zoom:***Off
3*** AF-Point Zoom:*** Off*** When on optical zoom, on magnifies the focus point
4*** OnServo AF*:***Off When on it's constantly trying to refocus when the shutter is half pressed. It's annoying
5*** Continuous AF: ** Off*** When On it tries to focus even if you are not even looking through the viewfinder. Waste of battery.
6*** AF Assist Beam:*** Off
7*** MF Point Zoom*:** Off
8*** Safety MF: *** Off
9*** Flash Control:** *** -***
10*** ISO Austo Settings:*
11*** High ISO NR ****Standard:
12*** Spot AE Point/AF Point:*** AF Point*** AF Point*** -Exposure uses the focus point instead of the whole scene
13*** Movie Audio***
14*** Review – Quick:**
15*** Review Info***
16*** Blink Detection:***Off
17*** Custom Display:** -
18*** Reverse Display:**
19*** IS Settings: Continuous 1
20*** Display area***Small
21*** Date stamp off*** Off*** Off***
22*** Face ID settings***
23*** Set Shortcut Button T***

While the above are the same for C1 and C2, I do have C1 and C2 set to turn on in different ways.

C2 is set to switch immediately to 1.5x teleconverter and to automatically zoom out half-way the moment I turn on the camera. This is a quick setup.

The way to do this is to put the teleconverter onto 1.5 and then zoom out and then go the the menu and set to C2 before turning the camera off.

Settings that are in the Funct Set wheel can also be saved. You have the camera on and make any changes inside Funct Set and then go to menu and save to C1 or C2 before shutting the camera off. C1 I have set to save the jpg to superfine. That's also done as described above.

Most of the bells and whistles are off. The whole point to those settings above are to do two simple things. 1 to force the camera to focus in the focus box that's in the center of the frame and 2 use that focus point to set exposure. All the continuous and servo focus stuff seems to just get the camera confused.

One last point. The 1.5x and 2x teleconverter is handy not just to get the bit of extra zoom without the need to crop but by zooming in that much more they often make the difference between being able to fit the focus box between branches and on the bird or getting a perfectly focused picture of a branch and a fuzzy bird in the background. It lets you fit the focus though a small hole.

I think I have requested this before? Seeing as it is a good starting point and many people ask as to settings when they first get the camera, can the Mods put it as a sticky at the top?

John

In the interest of keeping it where it belongs, I'm commenting SX50 on Sports mode from the SX60 topic. This is a reply from here. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3118577#post3118577

So I messed with Sports mode on the SX50 today for the first time in a long time. I just used stationary objects. My first observation is that for a high tree limb when I took the shots looking though the EVF, they frequently looked out of focus but on the computer most were fine.

The odd thing is that sports mode was never able to actually focus on a closer object. Standing in my driveway I took photos of my down spout. On both of my SX50's sports mode was NEVER able to get a focus. But my normal shooting mode on C1 had no problems. It's peculiar. Sports mode may have some peculiar limitation when something isn't far away? I'd guess the down spout was about 20 feet away from me in the attached photos.

I tried many times to get sports mode to focus. It never could.

Anyway, two photos attached. One of sports mode and one on my regular C1. Out of about 50 shots in sports mode NONE were focused and even on initial half press of the shutter, was completely unable to focus. Normal C1 was just fine. Strange.

These are both maximum optical zoom but no teleconverter.

Hi Crazyfingers, thanks for directing me here, looks like a lot of great conversation about the SX50.
Thanks for posting your settings, too. Mine are very similar, although I do use Program mode, I "think" because it allowed me to choose a smaller focus square.....but I might be remembering incorrectly. The manual is a bear, but I'm determined to tackle it. Had my hubby print the whole thing out and put it in a binder so I wouldn't have any excuses....

Got out for a while yesterday to try "sports mode" again on some smaller subjects. First little birds I encountered were a bunch of Tree Swallows hunting....very challenging and frustrating, but I did manage to get a couple of so-so pics. Don't remember ever having caught flying swallows in P mode (that were recognizable.)
Then I found a Merlin on a tall snag and got some shots of him preening that I was pretty happy with. I watched him for awhile, hoping he'd fly but he didn't, so I moved on.
A cold front started moving in and it got a lot darker and windy, so nothing else I shot was good. Still, I was impressed that the camera could get me any BIFs under the conditions, and I think sports mode will be very useful for making id's, even when one can't get a "pretty picture."
Some from yesterday are here; https://www.flickr.com/photos/127980272@N06/sets/72157649057274429/

I also added some "not quite" shots to the pelican folder. The birds were diving, and I kept trying to get the entrance into the water, but my tracking skills and reaction time weren't up to the task. It was fun though, and I can see how trying to get BIFs in this mode could be addictive.... cause it's hard, but not hopeless. Does use up a lot of battery. https://www.flickr.com/photos/127980272@N06/sets/72157649414055595/

I have purchased an SX50 and tried a few photos after programming it with Crazy Fingers set up. Having looked literally through every post in this thread and every photo, many of you have taken better shots of birds at a farther distance than the ones I have taken from a relatively close distance! Further reinforces the fact that I am not a photographer! Here are a couple of shots that I have taken and I would love feedback on what I can do to improve. Most birds were taken from a distance that I could have easily walked to in a matter of 5 minutes or less.

https://flic.kr/p/pwu3gv

https://flic.kr/p/pNVesv

https://flic.kr/p/qcmdJS

Last edited:
I have the feeling thought that the teleconverter and sport mode can't be used together but need to research it.

They can't but you can bring the digital zoom up to around 100x without things getting too messy which gives the same results more or less. No way to save those settings though |=(|

AndyM.

Andy, Lulubelle, I use digital zoom at 100x a lot, and just manually zoom in and out as needed. Telephoto settings can be saved though, so if you want, you can set the "digital zoom" (in the menu) to 2x telephoto and save it to a custom setting (C1 or C2). Then you can access 2x telephoto quickly, just by going to C1 on the settings dial on top of the camera.
Using the telephoto setting reduces shake at long focal lengths, but does also limit you to 100x zoom (unlike "standard" digital zoom, where you can got to 200x.)
I don't like to leave the camera in telephoto mode all the time though, cause if you shoot within the optical range the image is negatively impacted (at least on my camera, might want to test in yours.)

It has been possibly been covered in this thread, so please excuse if I ask again if any of you have bought and used a wireless remote shutter system for the SX50. I'm not finding many options...

Steve

Last edited:
[...] Tree Swallows hunting....very challenging and frustrating, but I did manage to get a couple of so-so pics. Don't remember ever having caught flying swallows in P mode (that were recognizable.)

Last year I shot a Barn swallow BIF - recognizable, but not sharp (see below; 1/250 sec, iso 1600). Still, for BIF sports mode is the SX50's best option, I believe, and I used it here. In sports mode, the AF often struggles with low contrast, but birds in flight (dark against a bright sky) are a good target.

I like the settings recommended in this thread, but unfortunately Goldcrests stay in the shadow 90% of the time. This may be an even worse situation than swallows in flight: the low-light talents of the SX50 too often succumb to the lively Goldcrests. The second photo is one of the few keepers: 1/125 sec, iso 320. Basically crazyfingers' settings, but I used the flashlight. The bird was ~ 4 m away, so the flash may have had a small effect.

Attachments

• Barn Swallow April 2013.jpg
    Barn Swallow April 2013.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Goldcrest November 2014.jpg
    Goldcrest November 2014.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 141
Last year I shot a Barn swallow BIF - recognizable, but not sharp (see below; 1/250 sec, iso 1600). Still, for BIF sports mode is the SX50's best option, I believe, and I used it here. In sports mode, the AF often struggles with low contrast, but birds in flight (dark against a bright sky) are a good target.

I like the settings recommended in this thread, but unfortunately Goldcrests stay in the shadow 90% of the time. This may be an even worse situation than swallows in flight: the low-light talents of the SX50 too often succumb to the lively Goldcrests. The second photo is one of the few keepers: 1/125 sec, iso 320. Basically crazyfingers' settings, but I used the flashlight. The bird was ~ 4 m away, so the flash may have had a small effect.
Nice shots. Would be great if SX50 handled low light better.....the birds around here always seem to manage to put themselves between me and the sun (when there is any) or pop into the shadows just as I get the camera up. Never think to use the flash.....

I've never tried it with the SX50, but my husband uses a "better beamer" flash magnifier with his big rig. He got it to shoot hummers, cause the BB can help get the stopped-wing effect he likes and brings out the iridescence in their plumage. He pretty much uses it all the time now for birds, cause they're so often silhouetted (especially the little woodland buggers.)
It weighs practically nothing, but I already look like a pack mule when I'm birding, so I won't be adding it to my gear list...;)

BiFs can be a lot easier to photograph when they are coming straight at you! June of 2013 I accidentally wandered into an area with a lot of nest boxes. Before I new it these tree swallows started to barn-storm me. I took some photos and left.

In any case, rotten weather the last day. Snow in fact. Today being Thanksgiving we will be taking our traditional walk in the woods at my parents house. Still overcast. But they do have a wonderful view of the bird feeder out the dining room window.

Attachments

• June 2013 06 22 09 02 03.jpg
    June 2013 06 22 09 02 03.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 94
  • June 2013 06 22 09 05 58.jpg
    June 2013 06 22 09 05 58.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 85
  • June 2013 06 22 09 06 54.jpg
    June 2013 06 22 09 06 54.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
"
BiFs can be a lot easier to photograph when they are coming straight at you!"

Crazyfingers, I experienced that yesterday when a Red-shouldered headed towards me, instead of away, as they usually do. Not a great pic, but better than a butt shot.....got a lot of those in my portfolio! https://www.flickr.com/photos/127980272@N06/15887933392/

BTW, sorry if I bungled the quote...I'm still trying to figure out how to do stuff on this site....like post attachments, or quote only part of a previous post....not real computer/forum savvy.

Crazyfingers, I experienced that yesterday when a Red-shouldered headed towards me, instead of away, as they usually do. Not a great pic, but better than a butt shot.....got a lot of those in my portfolio! https://www.flickr.com/photos/127980272@N06/15887933392/

BTW, sorry if I bungled the quote...I'm still trying to figure out how to do stuff on this site....like post attachments, or quote only part of a previous post....not real computer/forum savvy.

That's a really impressive shot of the red-shouldered hawk. Was that sports mode?

BiFs can be a lot easier to photograph when they are coming straight at you! June of 2013 I accidentally wandered into an area with a lot of nest boxes. Before I new it these tree swallows started to barn-storm me. I took some photos and left.

In any case, rotten weather the last day. Snow in fact. Today being Thanksgiving we will be taking our traditional walk in the woods at my parents house. Still overcast. But they do have a wonderful view of the bird feeder out the dining room window.

That's a really impressive shot of the red-shouldered hawk. Was that sports mode?
Thanks, yes, sports mode.

"
BiFs can be a lot easier to photograph when they are coming straight at you!"

Cracking shot M:t:

Rich

SX50 Technical question: compression settings

Ploughing through the instruction manual (original language, hieroglyphics?). On page 147 I find the instructions for changing compression settings. Seems straightforward:

Press the "funct set", choose "L" (or M1,M2,S)
Press the "Disp" button
Choose desired option (fine/superfine) to choose compression ratio.

Great except pressing the "Disp" button does nothing and my display does not match the manual - "Disp" is not displayed on my screen.

Am I missing something here? Or am I doing something wrong?

hopefully I have attached the relevant bit of the manual.

Help!

Andy

Attachments

• SX50 compression settings.JPG
    SX50 compression settings.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Took some more shots to get more familiar with the camera. I believe that these were taken with C1 per Crazy Fingers settings. maybe C2, but am pretty sure C1. At any rate, the birds were probably 10-15 ft away from me at most. I really thought the junco would be clearer, but instead it is very grainy - the one without the branches in the way. The mocker isn't bad, except on the right side of the birds head, it looks really soft. when I took these they were at full zoom. After looking at all the photos in this thread, these are really crappy. What am I dong wrong? Obviously closer is better, but I can't get any closer than I did without scaring the birds and again, people on this thread have taken shots at longer distances that have turned out better. For some off reason, It won't let me post images from Flickr and tells me that photos downloaded from my computer are too large. What the heck?

https://flic.kr/p/pgQHnc

https://flic.kr/p/pgQHnc

https://flic.kr/p/qbjdLu

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back