• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to digital world (1 Viewer)

rvonasch

Being a dinosaur, I am still using my A2 with 100-300 and 28-105 USM lenses.
I thought about a bridge camera, but have decided on a DSLR for the usual IQ reasons and also because I have fairly large hands{size 14 rings}. I would like to keep using my lenses, and am leaning towards an eos 50, but am totally open to any suggestions. I like the 1.6 crop factor, and thought about a 18-55mm kit lens to get started. Please feel free to help/comment.

Hi, I'm assuming that the two lenses you list are Canon. If so they should work OK.
(If made by a third party, e.g. Sigma, expect to have problems - it's now long past when Sigma were offering a re-chipping service for some lenses.)

I have the EF-S 18-55mm and the later IS versions are quite well thought of.
I'd strongly recommend that any body you get has AF-MA adjustment so that if necessary you can reduce any AF errors. The Eos 50D is OK, but the Eos 60D doesn't offer this feature. Bear in mind that EF-S lenses will only mount on 1.6x crop bodies.
I've taken many decent bird photos with my Eos 50D - and suitable long lenses!

Thanks, just the info I was looking for, I noticed that the 60D did not have the AF correction. The lenses are Canon with the USM auto focus. With a 1.6 crop factor I really won't have a wide angle. Do you like the 18-55 or would you get a ff length now? I have always favored the zoom coverage even tho a little loss of IQ, and usually slower. Thanks for your reply.

Ray VonAsch
Gloucester. Ma

My first Eos digital was a 10D, and like you I soon missed wide-angle, so I bought an EF 20 F/2.8 (~32mm) as being affordable and sort of wide-angle. Some time later I bought a full frame 5D, where the EF 20 F/2.8 really showed how wide it was! but it needed corrections via raw and DPP to sort out some of the distortion and other problems near the edges.
For ordinary snapping, I was more than happy with my EF-S 18-55mm IS. I do have the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 but it's a big lens, and gets little use as my real interests are in the longer lenses such as 400, 500. The EF-S 15-85 gets good reviews, and from reports I've read, is better than the 18-55, as well as covering a wider range. My copy of the EF-S 15-85 lives on my 7D, and doesn't disappoint, but it's bigger than the 18-55.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back