• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Docter Nobilem 15X60 (1 Viewer)

Fernando np

Hi,
Is there any user of this bino in this forum? I'm not interested in general opinions about their specifications. Of course, neither light nor confortable for watching for a long time trough, not advisable for general use. But my experiences with the old Zeiss 15X60, borrowed, were enough positive to make me consider something of these size, specially for some warblers.

Fernando,
I own the Docter 15x60, and the quality of the optics is about as good as it gets. I am particularly impressed because it is so large and high powered. Perhaps this should not be surprising, since it is closely modeled after the very successful Zeiss Nobilem. And also, since it is one of the most expensive Porros made.

Docter bought the Zeiss Jena plant after the war, and, largely with the original employees, continued production. They have recently moved into a new plant it Eisfeld, and have introduced a line of roof prism binoculars which are said to be only second rate, but something of that tradition continues with their Porros.

On the Cloudy Nights Binocular Forum, you can find several discussions about this binocular for astronomy use. I think the number of users there is up to four, and we are all very happy campers.

I have not used mine very much in the daytime, but I have taken it on several short birding walks. It is a challenge to handle, and also, I find the focus knob difficult to reach after being spoiled to roof prism binoculars. But the focus does work smoothly, although slowly geared, and the external eyepiece carriage is rigid enough to work with no rocking or flexing. I don't really mind the jumpy image at 15x, it really shows more if you can learn not to be irritated by that. The brilliance of the image is unsurpassed, and it is honestly very difficult for me to detect any CA in it, although I see it all the time in smaller roof prism binoculars. The field of view is only moderately wide, but the sharp sweet spot is more than wide enough.

Overall I find the optics superb, the appearance, ergonomics, and mechanics good enough but unrefined.

WARBLERS?? It would be great on warblers, provided they are about half a mile away. Or if they would only be still.
Ron

Hi Fernando,
I too owned the Docter 15x60 and loved the glass, but sold it because it was just too much weight for regular birding. Since then I've learned to use a decent harness, ( http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Cole...goryID=31017&product_id=COLEH651#.TuzynVbnttA ) which would have made a real difference.
It does work well for warblers, but you'll spend a lot more time relocating them than you would if you were using a wider field glass. Great views once you get on them though. It is not so great for close in birds, more than 3 meters minimum if memory serves. It shines when reaching for more distant birds, ducks, raptors, shorebirds, or when really admiring some cooperative specimen. Users need steady hands or a convenient place to lean on to enjoy them fully. Upper body strength building is an incidental benefit.

Hi,
Thanks. It looks the optics musn't be disapointing. My niche projected use is for small birds what move too much for the scope. On the other hand in our scrubby lanscape the distances involved are tipically under 100 metres, and easily under 50. Resolution power rules and deep of field are compulsory. A narrow FOV, or poor edge performance isn't a priority one time after so many years my aiming is almost perfect.

Ugly isn't it? Industrial, no frills. I do fear it might give a Fujinon some trouble.

The 7x50's body style is basically the same as the 8x50 Octarem, which is generally regarded to be a "stud muffin," as shown in this Burt Reynold's style terry cloth towel layout.

What you might find ugly is the bulky rubber armoring on the Docter version.

Attachments

• czj4lite.jpg
    czj4lite.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 478
  • Docter 7x50 Noblem CF.jpg
    Docter 7x50 Noblem CF.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 620
Docter, Docter gimmie das news got verboten case von Euro blues.

No bins gonna cure mein ills.

What? You expect, I can see clearly now the rain is gone?

Agreed, the armour makes a bold fashion statement giving just cause to term, ugly duckling; though girth would indicate goose/swan or more appropriately descript turkey.

Still, I covet the 15x60 whilst continuing to view from the 16x60 Pentax on birdfeeder duty.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back