• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ringed gannet (1 Viewer)

billy

a couple of years ago, whilst fishing on loch long off arrochar i found a fresh dead ( deceased ? ) gannet which had been rung. sent ring away to bto who forwarded it to the appropriate ringers. turns out the bird was rung when rescued from an oil spill in holland some 17 years earlier. this would make it at least what age? how long do they usually live

Hello Billy

It was finding a dead gull with a ring that introduced me to the BTO and ringing many years ago.

I understand the oldest Gannet from Bass Rock was at least 21 years old, so your bird did quite well.

burhinus

forgot to say bird was rung ( ringed? ) as an adult so had reached a ripe old age. did'nt think they reached that age

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back