• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gallocanta, the dance of the cranes (1 Viewer)

Pau Lucio

Birdwarching Spain: Top wildlife and bird watching
This a trip report to the lagoon of Gallocanta (NE Spain) and surroundings from January 10th to January 12th. During this 3-day birding holiday, we will watch one of the great wonders of nature in Europe, the roost of thousands of Cranes. Furthermore, we will visit other habitats to look for the rich wildlife in the area.

Day 1. Friday

It is 13:00 and I am picking George and Mary from Valencia airport whose flight from London Gatwick has arrived on time. We are going to spend a few days watching the spectacular gathering of cranes in Gallocanta. It is said that this month has been recorded over 51000 Common Cranes, the largest number in recent years. Besides, we will stop in other places before reaching Gallocanta looking for more species.

At 14:10, we have our first stop at the Toro Mountains. Crested Larks call besides the road and Woodlarks are perched in the wires. As we stop in the pine forest, a group of 3 Griffon Vultures soar not far from us. Firecrest sings and is watched by George, it is his first one!
We continue driving up the hill and I stop the car to watch a group of 5 Crossbills feeding in pine cones. Mistle Thrushes are everywhere and a Redwing sings from a bush. In the last stop before we go back into the motorway, Crested and Coal Tit are spotted by Mary.

It is 16:15 and we are in the road again. As we will arrive in darkness to Gallocanta, I suggest stopping in one lagoon near Teruel. It is also an important area for Cranes which is overlooked by many birders. There we make the most of the last hour of light and we manage to see Lapwings, Iberian Green Woodpecker, Chiffchaff, Hen and Marsh Harrier, Shoveler, Gadwall and a group of 300 Cranes. After that, we continue driving a bit more than one hour to our rural hotel.

Day 2. Saturday

The following day, we get dressed at 7:15 to watch the take off of the cranes from the lagoon. At this time of the year, they always follow more o less the same direction. They fly to the corn fields to feed on the seeds. We are during more than 20 minutes overwhelmed for the trumpet sound of the cranes and their majestic flight!. George says “I never expect to see so many cranes together, it has been really impressive!” After that, we go to our hotel to have breakfast before we continue birding.

At 9:10 we are on the road going to the hides. As we climb the first tower, a herd of 12 Wild Boars run off the lake shore. Large groups of Skylarks, Meadow Pipit and Linnets, and also Corn Buntings are seen. Furthermore, small groups of cranes are scattered through the fields, some of them close enough to take good photos. Hen Harriers and Red Kites fly along the road, and Merlin is seeing perch in a tree. George spots a large group of birds in the wire, they are Rock Sparrows. Another lifer for him!
It is time to have lunch and I drive to a nearby gorge, where we will look out for other raptors. But, before that, we have a look in a small lagoon. There we can find Grey Wagtail, Wigeon, Curlew, Tufted Duck, Snipe and a flock of Red-legged Partridge in the back fields.

After lunch, we have a walk in the gorge. Rock Buntings move around the bushes and a Greenfinch passes by. Griffon Vultures are seen during all the afternoon and a Fieldfare calls. As we turn back to the car, the bird I was waiting for all the afternoon is now in the sky, an immature Golden Eagle, what a superb bird! Mary is excited; it is her first Golden Eagle. With no more time, we go back to the Gallocanta lagoon to watch the cranes to roost.

Day 3. Sunday

After having breakfast, we drive back to Valencia to spend the day in the Albufera de Valencia Natural Park. There, from the hides we watch Red-Crested Pochard, Common Shelduck, Common Pochard, Black-winged Stilt, Teal, Avocet and Shoveler. In the pine forest close to the hides, Long-tailed Tits and Sardenian Warblers are seen, and a Booted Eagle patrols the sky. Our next stop is on the beach, where we have lunch as we watch Common Scoter and Balearic Shearwater, both species are livers for Mary and George! I am very glad they see these amazing birds! As we walk back to the car, we find an Iberian Grey Shrike perch in a pine.
It is time to go to the airport, but instead of taking the national road, I drive through the unmade roads between the flooded rice fields. Here we see Lapwing, Golden Plover, Common and Green Sandpiper, Little and Cattle Egret and Grey Heron.
This tour is running every two weeks from middle November to middle March. Please, contact us at [email protected] or visit the 2-day tour (Gallocanta-Belchite steppes) information at http://birdwatchingspain.net/gallocanta-birding-tour/

Regards

Pau Lucio

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back