• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ridgway, April 2014 - RFI (1 Viewer)

CornishExile

rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!
Hello all,

I've been offered the use of a house in a wooded lot near Ridgway, Colorado for a week in April next year. It's an area of the US I am not familiar with as a British birder. So I was wondering...

...what sort of species of interest might I encounter in the area (or within, say, a 100 mile radius of Ridgway) at that time of year?

In a nutshell, should I take the offer of the house?! My US birding has, until now, been limited to the NE states and Arizona (south of Tucson to the Mexican border) so I am wondering what potential that time of year in Colorado offers.

Any help or pointers to useful URLs greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jon

In April you'll be on the edge of Spring/Winter in Ridgway. Depending on where around Ridgway, there could still be some snow, but most likely it will be gone by then. April high temps average at almost 60 (F), but lows are still below freezing. A good many migrants will be making their way through by then, with both broad-tailed and black-chinned hummingbirds coming mid-April, as well as numerous warbler species.

Early April is the best time in CO to watch the spring lekking of prairie chickens, although the only one you'll be within 100 miles of will be the Gunnison.

I live about 20 minutes from Ridgway, and know the area pretty well! Why don't you PM me, and I can send you some more detailed lists from past bird walks, tours, etc.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back