• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phoenicoid cup fungus for ID (1 Viewer)

charly streets

Charlie Streets
Hi all,
I found three of these growing in what looked like the ash content of a woodburning stove. They were buff or a little darker and 8mm across.
I am letting them mature inside. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 35
Hi Charlie,

A Peziza species , I would have thought.

There are some novel species that grow on burnt wood. I'd be more than happy to examine it when it's mature if you'd like to try to get it ID'd to species level (though I'm away on holiday for the next week).

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks Nick that's a generous offer. I'll try and keep it alive until it's mature and post it off to you. I do have your address.How will I know when it's producing plenty of mature spores?

Hi Charlie,

I received your specimen safely, but it's quite confusing!

The black spore print on paper clearly belongs to Ascobolus carbonarius.

The problem is that at least one of the apothecia I examined was a different species!

This second species has hyaline spores at maturity (they are definitely mature as I have seen them being ejected and geminate) and asci that are blue in iodine.....

I can't seem to find an Ascobolus apothecium in the collection, though - Can you remember whether you disposed of one before packaging?

Cheers,
Nick

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 24
Hi Nick,

Apologies for any confusion, I did include a note with the samples but can't for the life of me remember what it said.

In the single pot I sent you there was one sample of ash with two fungi on it: a dark brown disc and a pale brown cup (see photo attached). Each had a piece of paper covering them hopefully to collect some spores. I'm assuming the dark brown disc is Ascobolus carbonarius.

Also included was a piece of stone with the "jelly" fungi apparently growing on Lichens (see attached).

Hope this helps and again, many thanks for your time.

Charlie.

Attachments

• Phoenix 2.jpg
    Phoenix 2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Jelly fungi on lichens.jpg
    Jelly fungi on lichens.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

No need for any apologies - I obviously hadn't read your notes properly.....

The paler apothecium (with hyaline spores) is a good fit for Peziza repanda.

The jelly fungus is unfortunately beyond me - I think it is a Tremella sp. (so a lichen parasite) but it wasn't in the best shape - By the time it got to me it had some other organisms getting involved, a Fusarium species, some bacteria and some budding yeast cells. I saw no basidiospores and only (what looked like) a few old basidia.......

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick,
Wow! a whole lot going on in that piece of jelly, I didn't realise some fungi are lichen parasites!
Thanks for your comments on the "ash" fungi, I'll keep an eye for other species next time I see the remains of bonfires etc.

Cheers,

Charlie.

Hi again,
I'll try and investigate further, I'm guessing there aren't that many tremella species in the UK that feed on lichens that look like mine........but I may be wrong :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back