• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Demos at Eagle Optics (1 Viewer)

When I spoke with EO and asked if they would have replacements if my demo had issues, they mentioned they had several in stock, so I wouldn't worry too much!

Took mine out for some quick birding around the Refuge and got a great look at a Purple Gallinule and decent look at a group of 20ish Wood Storks. The lifelike image quality is still very impressive to behold; they just make me think I've moved up 8.5x closer to the bird and don't have a multi-layered glass instrument in front of my eyes. Also, the brightness at dawn and dusk is better than what I'm used to seeing, maybe due to the 44 as opposed to 42mm objectives but I'm sure other factors play a role here as well.

Justin

ONE Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 Demo and ONE Stokes Field Guide are now enroute to western North Carolina... Should have Thursday or Friday and am off the weekend. BOOM!

Thanks to Ben and Katie at Eagle Optics...and my wife for graciously allowing me to spend my money on this... o:D

To follow up, I did get the Kowa Genesis 8x33 (a demo pair) from EO. I was pleased by the colour fidelity. However, I could not get the image to be sharp in the lower part of the image. I don't know whether this was an issue with how I was holding the bins, or something related to my pair, but it was enough for me to send them back.

Greetings:

Eagle Optics has Kowa Demos at good prices. The Prominar 8X33 is only $699.

I ordered one since it was such a good deal.

they also have the BD's and rest of the Prominar line Demos for sale.

Best Wishes!

Yeah, we just saw that too. I ordered a Genesis 8.5x44, from what I've read here it seems if you can adjust to them being a bit heavy you will otherwise have a spectacular pair of bins. The 8x33 was tempting but the ER was not enough for me.

Last edited:
Has anyone got any experience with the BD 10x32 that EO have at $299 ex demo?
I think the design is quite old now and wonder if a cheaper more recent pair might be better value. I know it is a different mag but am also looking at the EO RANGER HD they have as demo, (or maybe even the TERRA ED), or a brand new 8x30 monarch 7,

Very tempted by anything Kowa though.

I'm going to chime in here because as some of you who have read my posts know I'm a big Kowa fan. Two very reconcilable people in the optics business (no names too many conflicts of interest) have both told me the same thing. If your eyesight is VERY good and you really know optics you can see some very slight differences in the Genesis and a couple of the "Alphas". You can't see enough to justify the extra money unless you have a LOT of it or you just have to have a Mercedes or Porsche or fill in the blank. In other words if you need that to feel good about yourself of care about what some one else thinks of your bins go for it. For me I'm very happy with the almost two grand still in the bank.
Steve
I have a degree in economics and think spending money for something other than utility is foolish not to say stupid.

Yes I've played with it at a couple of shows. I'm not comfortable with the smaller size like I am with a 40+ size bin. I would try the SV's. They have been very well rated and are comfortable with out being bulky or heavy. I had a pair of 8X33 Genesis and sent those back because I wasn't comfortable with them not because of the optics.
Steve

SV - $199 - I am liking this advice a lot. Thanks!

I also really liked the focus wheel on the YF and it looks the same.

And I like the black and red... I will have a good look at the specs and size and see.

[I asked because EO have the BD10x32 as a demo for $299, and it seemed like maybe a good deal, if old tech. I am guessing maybe the BD line is due an upgrade?]

Robert

I'm going to chime in here because as some of you who have read my posts know I'm a big Kowa fan. Two very reconcilable people in the optics business (no names too many conflicts of interest) have both told me the same thing. If your eyesight is VERY good and you really know optics you can see some very slight differences in the Genesis and a couple of the "Alphas". You can't see enough to justify the extra money unless you have a LOT of it or you just have to have a Mercedes or Porsche or fill in the blank. In other words if you need that to feel good about yourself of care about what some one else thinks of your bins go for it. For me I'm very happy with the almost two grand still in the bank.
Steve
I have a degree in economics and think spending money for something other than utility is foolish not to say stupid.

I have both the 8.5x44 and 10.5x44 Genesis...we also had the Swarovision EL 10x42 at the same time. We sent back the Swaro because for me the difference was not there. Optically the Kowa's win out...(to my eyes anyway)

I have talked to Kowa's U.S. sales manager a couple of times and the only project he would talk about was that Kowa has been talking for more than a year about smaller scopes with the FC glass like the 883/884. There are problems with making smaller lenses because its very hard to manufacture. He said that if they could do it they would have them out in a year or two but no firm plans yet. As for bins they are an odd company in that they make a quality product and apparently don't feel the need to bring new models to keep the marketing department happy. I'm not sure the have a marketing department any way as they don't promote themselves like some optics company's do.
Steve
I need more birds and less computer.

Steve

Same can be said for several makes compared to the so called "alphas". If people could put off their blind, brand loyalist shoes and be objective about it. Kowa Genesis is one of them.

yeah but the line is rather blurry where you cross over from utility to luxury. It's all relative. I purchased a Trinovid for 1100 bucks and your Genesis, according to current pricing online, runs over 1k. Many people including experienced birders think we spent too much and could have purchased a very good quality utility bin for much less. It's a personal choice how much each decides to spend and I would only consider someone 'foolish' if they look at their finances, really cannot afford it , but makes the purchase anyway.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back