• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with compact superzoom? (1 Viewer)

Sweden

Hey!
I'm thinking about buying a compact superzoom to document birds I see, the one I'm most interested in is Panasonic Lumix TZ70. If I could use the same camera for digiscoping it would be a nice bonus. Are theses types of cameras okey for digiscoping?

Sadly no. Superzooms are not compatible with digiscoping. In general you need a camera with less than 5x zoom to be able to see a good field of view from the image
MB

Thanks for your reply!
So it doesn't matter if I have the superzoom camera completely zoomed out when I digiscope? It's not the zoom capability I'm after, would just be convenient with only one camera.

regards,

Bought a TZ70 last month but needed to return it last week due to a fault (failed control ring).
And no you can't use for digiscoping as stated above.
Shame really as its a nice compact pocket camera.
Russ

So it doesn't matter if I have the superzoom camera completely zoomed out when I digiscope? It's not the zoom capability I'm after, would just be convenient with only one camera.

Hi,
no, zoom compact cameras usually don't work for digiscoping. Typically only compact cameras with a zoom up to 5x or so work for digiscoping.

For (entry level) bird photography, best is to get a superzoom (bridge) camera such as the Lumix FZ200 or FZ72. For digiscoping, try your smartphone camera.

I did a comparison on the link below (TZ70 at max zoom vs digiscoping vs smartphone),
so I would not say it's unusable for digiscoping, but perhaps not optimal.

I tend to use it for quick handheld documentation pics through the scope, it's faster than mounting an adapter with my smartphone.

With the camera alone it's possible to shoot some flying birds if they are not to fast.

The small size is the main advantage, fits in a shirt pocket, always available.
Most annoying thing is the lens retracting without notice under usage to save battery I guess...

But it's better than no camera at all, and does the job if the light is ok.
Larger bridge cameras are bulky and most don't have any larger sensors.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3338857#post3338857

Last edited:
Ok, interesting, I wouldn't have exptected a 30x zoom to work on a scope.

With adapter this is probably a little clumsy. What I like with phonescoping (which I recently discovered), that the whole set-up is really light and easy to use, not much vibrations etc...

Larger bridge cameras don't have bigger sensors, that is true, but bigger objectives (more range, more light) and better EVFs. Also they handle more like real cameras.

If pocketability is important, I can imaging that a cam like the TZ70 is a good compromise. But if the main aim is to take good bird pics with an inexpensive camera, a bridge is the best way to go in my opinion.

I did a comparison on the link below (TZ70 at max zoom vs digiscoping vs smartphone),
so I would not say it's unusable for digiscoping, but perhaps not optimal.

I tend to use it for quick handheld documentation pics through the scope, it's faster than mounting an adapter with my smartphone.

With the camera alone it's possible to shoot some flying birds if they are not to fast. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3338857#post3338857

Interesting test!
So is it possible to get decent pictures of soaring buzzards for example with TZ70? Do you have any pictures of BIF that you've taken with the camera?

I've read a lot of good things about FZ200, so I've been thinking about that model, but I'm always carrying a spotting scope and binoculars, so if I can get at least decent pictures with a pocket camera it's tempting to go for the smaller size and weight.

A superzoom would be an alternative to digiscoping. I have the TZ70 (well, the ZS50 to be more precise) and found it to be a piece of junk, so I use a Canon Rebel SL1 with a EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (8x equivalent on the far end) as a lightweight, if not too compact birding camera.

You'd get better results with the new TZ100 that has a larger 1" sensor, and of course with the Sony RX10III or Panasonic FZ1000 bridge superzoom cameras.

I was looking at fz1000, but ended up buying a used panasonic fz200 for 160 eur, it's a cheap way to test if bird photo is something that interests me or if I just think it gets in the way of birding. Let's see if I at least can learn how to take recognizable record shots :)

I was looking at fz1000, but ended up buying a used panasonic fz200 for 160 eur, it's a cheap way to test if bird photo is something that interests me or if I just think it gets in the way of birding. Let's see if I at least can learn how to take recognizable record shots :)

I've been using the FZ-200 for the last two years. Absolutely excellent including video. I use the DMW-LAZ telephoto which adds 1.8x mag and stays on the camera. It gives better subject isolation. I've not been happy with closeup work with and without the telephoto. Also always use digital zoom as IMO contrary to general advice it always works out a better shot than cropping down the image.

No good for digiscoping though and I like other contributors have generally phonescoped, although I'm hoping to get a Lumix G7 or similar shortly to cover macro, landscapes and 4k digiscoping soon. Should still be light enough for me to take into the field for 5-10miles.

Good luck with the new camera

Short sample of some recent video from my Twitter feed here : https://twitter.com/LinfordBirder/status/726389243380125696
and an image here:
https://twitter.com/LinfordBirder/status/727200607363276800

Last edited:
I stopped digiscoping (photos and equipment list here) in favor of an SX60 superzoom (equipment listed here). About the same usable range/distance capabilities, better image quality, easier to use, far lighter, far more mobile, ability to take close-in shots, etc.

Not that my digiscoping gear, including the ancient camera (Nikon Coolpix 4500) is a complete waste: it makes a decent astroscoping setup. |:D| I really need to get back to practicing multi-shot compositing techniques.

Granted, digiscoping with a good DSLR and more expensive scope would be a whole different comparison, but money most certainly was and is an issue for me.

To get back to your real question...yeah 4x to 5x internal compact zoom cameras work the best off the eyepiece/plossl, or a DSLR right off the back of the scope like a big camera lens. I've tried a couple external-zoom cameras (Canon SX60 and Canon ELPH 33) and they are too finicky in their setup.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back