• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dumfries and Galloway. (1 Viewer)

Hi John yes there's quite a few places to visit in the area:

Caerlaverock
Wigtown Bay
Mersehead

There's also a Kite feeding station and a nature reserve near Castle Douglas, I'll try and get more info about that place shortly.

A few years ago we had a Scottish Bash in the area. It was February though, so no summer birds in. However, you can read about where we went in this thread. The reports start on Page 70.

There's also a Kite feeding station and a nature reserve near Castle Douglas, I'll try and get more info about that place shortly.

I Googled: and got this result for the Castle Douglas area.

If you have time, you could also head right down to the bottom of Mull of Galloway, where there's a large reserve for breeding sea birds.

Hope these ideas help.

I've pasted a copy of my report below
Corsewell Point is a top sea watching location and the Mull of Galloway RSPB reserve is wonderful.When you park at the RSPB car park take the steep path north west to view the seabird colony. Corsewell Point is at the north end of the Rhinns of Galloway and the Mull of Galloway at the southern tip.
The seat just at the entrance to the imposing Portpatrick hotel on the cliffs is the best seawatching spot.Take your scope and sit there for a couple of hours watching the birds going to and fro.Portpatrick is a lovely traditional fishing village.
If you enjoy walking the sea cliffs north and south of Portpatrick are spectacular.If you've got the legs take a walk down the steep road to Morroch Bay,completely unspoilt and home to several Rock Pipit.
Enjoy!

Shearings were offering a last minute deal: a coach,bed breakfast and evening meal at the imposing Portpatrick Hotel for £149[5 days/4 nights].They did a local pick-up.
It looked like a bargain-do the math- so why not?
We went to Portpatrick last year so I know how good the sea watching and cliff top walks can be.
The hotel was fine,the food lovely,the room warm and comfortable, and the staff were welcoming.
We went from 15/6/15 to 19/6/15.

Portpatrick

If you don't know the area Portpatrick is on the western coast of Rhinns of Galloway,Scotland.Just turn left at Gretna and keep on going till you reach the Irish Sea.It is around 20 miles from Northern Ireland whilst the Isle of Man is not much further away.It boasts a lovely old fishing harbour.
Going north and south there are dramatic sea cliffs.
To the south lies the sea bird colony of the Mull of Galloway.The Scares Gannet colony can be seen from here.Ailsa Crag another colony lies further noth east.
Consequently the Irish Sea off Portpatrick is like a seabird motorway, with birds coming and going all day.
The harbour is a guaranteed place to see breeding Black Guillemot.The most I saw during the week, was fifteen.If they are not there they will be somewhere close to shore.
I took up residence on the bench at the end of the steps leading from the hotel grounds-by far the best sea watching vantage point in Portpatrick.
At any given time Guillimots and Gannets will fly past.I didn't do any counts except on the last morning.In one hour 78 Guillimots and 137 Gannets passed by.
Manx Shearwater were always wheeling past.On the 18th June a strong north-westerly brought in 400,close to shore, in just over an hour:an impressive sight.
Fulmar breed close by so they were seen on the water or gliding around every day.
Common Terns were seen every day in small numbers.
Strangely I only saw one Kittiwake even though they breed on the Mull of Galloway.
Shag are common hereabouts so they were a regular sight.
Herring Gulls are the predominant gull:true seagulls here,living and breeding on the cliffs.Very few Lesser Black Backs or Black headed Gulls were witnessed during the week.Other birds seen from here were Cormorant,Linnet,Common Whitethroat,Oystercatcher, Collared Dove,Song Thrush,Jackdaw,Carrion Crow,House Martin,Common Redpoll and Barn Swallow.

Morroch Bay to Killingtringan Lighthouse.

It is worth doing this walk over two separate days.The cliffs are magnificent and the scenery stunning.It is not too demanding but you have to be at least moderately fit.
Morroch Bay is a good place to see Rock Pipit with five there on the 17th of June.There was a Raven and Buzzard here.A Peregrine was seen last year but not this,alas!
A common sight and sound all along the way is Common Whitethroat and Stonechat singing or calling.The habitat in the steep inaccessible cliffs is ideal.An adult Stonechat was with a juvenile adjacent to Portpatrick golf course.There were 2 Eider Duck on the sea below.
Linnets are prolific all along here as well as Meadow Pipit.
There were a few Reed Bunting near the lighthouse and Skylark,thinner on the ground, near Morroch Bay.
A Peregrine Falcon was seen near Portavaddie and the first Herring Gull chicks were at a nest site here too.
Kestrels are doing well with three individuals near the cliff edges.
There were 9 Eider Duck at Killantringan Lighthouse a wonderful place to see Red Throated Diver earlier on in the year when they are passing through.
Its worth stopping at Port Kale on the way,The stream attracts Grey Wagtail,a juvenile was spotted with some adults.
There was one Rock Pipit on the bay rocks as well as a pair of Oystercatcher and a sunbathing Seal
Common Whitethroat are voluble around here and there was a Stonechat at the top of the steps as you leave the valley.
There were many Northern Wheatear on the walks including a family of two adults and two juveniles at Killantringan on the 18th June.

The Mull of Galloway and Logan Gardens.
If you go on a Shearings holiday they include free day excursions which include any admission fees.We only took this one as it gave us two hours at the Mull of Galloway bird reserve-enough time to have a good look around.
The sea bird colony is having a bumper year with hundreds of Guillimot,Black Guillimot,Shag,Kittiiwake,Razorbill,Herring Gull,Shag and Fulmar.
I saw three Puffin but 45 were counted the day before.They are best viewed from the path accessed from the gate by the café.
The cliffs here are a truly impressive sight!
There were a few Northern Wheatear and Meadow Pipit around too.Stonechat are apparently breeding here as well as Rock Pipit

The coach leaves the guests at Logan Gardens for a couple of hours.The impressive gardens host Willow Warbler,Chiffchaff,Blackcap,Chaffinch,Song Thrush,Blackbird and Blue Tit.
There is enough time to wander along to Port Logan Bay where Gannets love to fish.I recorded Blackcap,Willow Warbler,Chiffchaff,Linnet,Buzzard,and Common Whitethroat,on the way there.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable relaxing break:great if you don't like driving or don't have a car.Shearings do all the hard work.Just sit back and enjoy it!

Last edited:
Many thanks everyone, just the help I need, this is my first venture into Scotland and I`m really looking forward to it.

Pratincol, great read, I`m staying in a cottage in the Newton Stewart area so will definitely be visiting the places you have mentioned.

Cheers.

John.

Many thanks everyone, just the help I need, this is my first venture into Scotland and I`m really looking forward to it.

Pratincol, great read, I`m staying in a cottage in the Newton Stewart area so will definitely be visiting the places you have mentioned.

Cheers.

John.
If you are staying in Newton Stewart you aren't far from Portpatrick.The coastal cliff scenery is second to none around there.There is plenty of free parking in Portpatrick with shops bars and places to eat.You'll see the resident Black Guillemot in the harbour,they are more or less guaranteed.
If you walk south along the cliffs just head up the path towards the caravan site and castle ruins.Keep on going for about 2 miles and you reach Morroch Bay which is beautiful.If you head north along the cliffs take the path from the village past the Portpatrick hotel and head for Killingtringan lighthouse.
Should you travel south to the Isle of Whithorn there are some charming villages along the way like Garlieston,Port William and Monreith.
The Mij the Otter statue from Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell is at Monreith, Galloway -an enigmatic spot.The Bladnoch Distillery is worth a visit if you like whisky.Its not far from there.
There can be some good sea watching from the lighthouse area of the Isle of whithorn if the winds are right.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this too, Torview, as I've not been so far west as this before. I'll be there for the weekend, in Stranraer, at the end of May but will be with my sister, so not a full-on birding time.

Hopefully we'll get some wildlife watching in though.

I'm interested in this too, Torview, as I've not been so far west as this before. I'll be there for the weekend, in Stranraer, at the end of May but will be with my sister, so not a full-on birding time.

Hopefully we'll get some wildlife watching in though.
I'd definitely take a trip to Portpatrick from Stranraer its only 15 minutes drive[or you can take the bus]- see my above post to Torview.
Its one of those fishing villages which is olde worlde.Some great seawatching and the famous Portpatrick Black Guillemots too.

Last edited:
Thanks P. I'll put it to her.

I'm going over by the bus as it's free for me, and we won't need 2 cars. It does sound good and won't be too long a drive after her journey up from England.

Thanks P. I'll put it to her.

I'm going over by the bus as it's free for me, and we won't need 2 cars. It does sound good and won't be too long a drive after her journey up from England.
There is a regular bus from Portpatrick to Stranraer-it only takes about 15 minutes or so.
Have a nice time!

Dumfries and Galloway has some great locations, it just depends how far you want to travel and what you would like to see.
here's a few suggestions

Langholm moor Hen Harriers, Merlin and Short eared Owls among others.
http://langholmmoorland.blogspot.co.uk/

Corsewall Point Good for seabirds and various Divers.

Galloway National Forest if really lucky might even see Golden Eagle.
http://www.gallowayforestpark.com/

Ken Dee Marshes has a couple of hides.
https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-an...eserves-a-z/reserves-by-name/k/kendeemarshes/

Mull of Galloway Guillemots, razorbills and Puffin.
https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-an.../reserves-by-name/m/mullofgalloway/index.aspx

WWT Caerlaverock
http://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/caerlaverock/

Just a few I also heard that a White-tailed Eagle had been spotted on Loch Ryan.

Dumfries and Galloway's birding facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DumfriesandGallowayWildlifeandBirding/

Thanks tarric and everyone, I feel much better prepared to make the most of my visit, Golden Eagle would be amazing, I`v only ever seen them in Italy, in the Gran Sasso region close to Campo Imperatore.

Last edited:
Best Birdwatching Sites: The Solway i found very useful when there earlier in the month also RSPB wood of Cree excellent especially knockman woods

Home now and very tired after a few busy days.

Saturday afternoon we had a lovely drive up to Corsewall Lighthouse and back down the other side to Portpatrick.Loads of LBJ's around darting in and out of hedges and long grass.

There were a number of places to eat in Portpatrick. It was very busy there, as most of the bars had coverage of the cup finals.

Sunday was another lovely day So we went down to the Mull of Galloway and explored the reserve. Excellent sea cliff breeding area. Saw plenty of Gannets off shore (and close in) also very pleased to spot a Manx Shearwater well out. No Puffins, though one had been spotted earlier.

The community owned and run shop and cafe is excellent and very good value for money too. I had baked potato with beans and side salad, a chocolate cake and coffee for the grand sum of £9!!

Raining this morning, so just mooched about town until my bus. Had a very nice OAP fish supper in the Central Cafe.

Strangely, although there were Oystercatchers everywhere, they were the only waders in sight anywhere (apart from a single Grey Heron).

I hope you enjoy your tip John.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back