• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x42 T* fl (1 Viewer)

Hi guys i was wondering if you could help a friend of mine has been offered a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x42 T* fl at a good price can anyone tell me if they have used/owned or tried a pair, I've heard stories of them being great glasses but what are they like in low light/ dimpsey days etc, any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks jason

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

They rank 3rd out of 25 8x42s reviewed by Allbinos. See the overall review below. The light transmission test therein shows them to be very bright.

http://www.allbinos.com/238-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x42_T*_FL.html

I own and use the 7x42 T*FL and it is an outstanding binocular! The T* FL series is properly listed among the best binoculars recently made.

Of course your friend should try it before he decides to buy it if he can do so.

Bob

I have used one for years, and although I am a binocular enthusiast with several good binoculars, this is certainly my best all around birding instrument.

IMHO:

The centerfield is extremely bright, sharp, and free from false color effects. Viewing is comfortable, with nice eyecups that stay put. Being very lightweight with smooth but ribbed rubber armor, and with focusing that is fast ratio, very smooth, and free from backlash, it is pleasant in the hand and quick to get on the bird and focus.

Minor quibbles would be scattered light control that is not the very best (between Leica (tops) and Swarovski), and blur near the edge of the field that is hardly bad, but probably worst of the big three brands.

Ron

I have used a pair for a number of years and have never felt the need to change them. They are very bright even in low light. They were considered among the very best bins ever made when introduced and still hold their own. The quality of these is remebered and enjoyed long after the price is forgotten. Certainly there are better instruments now but your friend will have to pay serious money (think near £2k) to get an appreciably better new instrument. I don't know what your friend is considering paying but knowing what these go for used (retail) I reckon a used Victory T* FL will be far better than a new instrument for the same money. Try them and if your friend doesn't like them, s/he will be able to sell them on for little or no loss.

A really great binocular that performs better than the used prices would indicate. It's very similar in optical design to the current Zeiss HT but costs $300-600 less but with comparable optical performance. If there's any down side for me with the FL, it never seemed like a very high contrast image but this was just a small point and doesn't spoil my overall appreciation of this binocular. I still rate it as one of the best out there.

My "go-to" for 10 years. Flare/glare control not up to Leica standards, but that's a small point. Recently, I had the opportunity to compare it to the current big guns (Swarovski EL Swarovision Field Pro Pkg., Zeiss SF, and Leica Noctivid). No, the decade old design is not up to those standards, but is a hair's breadth away. Moreover, it's mechanically rugged and the focus and IP distance adjustment resistances have not changed perceptively. You won't be disappointed.

Thank you everyone for your replies, from what I'm gathering from you all they are a great pair of binos that are tried and tested, I'm gona pass the information on to him and leave it in his hands thanks for all of your help Jason

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

They rank 3rd out of 25 8x42s reviewed by Allbinos. See the overall review below. The light transmission test therein shows them to be very bright.

Carl Zeiss Victory 8x42 T* FL - binoculars review - AllBinos.com

I own and use the 7x42 T*FL and it is an outstanding binocular! The T* FL series is properly listed among the best binoculars recently made.

Of course your friend should try it before he decides to buy it if he can do so.

Bob
Old thread I know but is there any real observable difference between the 7x42 and the 8x42

Old thread I know but is there any real observable difference between the 7x42 and the 8x42
In terms of the details one can see, I see no practical difference between 7x and 8x.
In terms of the appearance of the image, binos of 7x do not compress the distance between objects at the rear of the image and objects near the front of the image. This means you can more accurately perceive the spaces between objects and it gives the overall image a more realistic appearance in my opinion.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back