• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North American Birding Book (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Hi,
I am looking to update my North American Birding book, and am seeking advise as to what is the best. Ideally would like a book of "the Birds of Costa Rica" by Richard Garrigues and Robert Dean second edition calibre/quality.

Any advise?

Thanks
Chris

Much appreciated for the great advise.
Chris

Another vote for the Sibley, in book form for the study, in app form for the field (though personally I never consult the book nowadays but only the app, indoors or out).

Last edited:
If you feel that the Costa Rica book is better than what you have now, and given that you live in Ontario, I would go with Sibley -- Eastern, but with the Natl Geographic if you want coast to coast coverage. The big Sibley in book form does not have enough text that I would recommend it as a east and west option for someone who likes the text also. If you are fine with studying the images and do not need many pointers, then the big Sibley for you. The Sibley app is a little bit of both (more text than the big book).

I actually like to combine the NatGeo book (coast to coast version) with the Sibley app when I travel to North America.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back