• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOP NE.London? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Going through an old SD card...some of last years shots, taken on a cold (Northerly) April day. Extremely high, c300-400m heading North. It's fair to say that ''most'' local Buteos seen...are at a much lower elevation, from tree canopy height to a 100m max. Although the images are up to my usual ''high'' standard ;) Image 3. looking particularly ''vulturine'' and apart from the tail being pale (never seen a CB with such a contrast and a terminal band), Image 5 suggests a pale rump/head as well. On a probability scale...scarcity v commonality, what are the odds of a CB looking like this, as opposed to the occurrence of a high, Northerly drifting (scarce) migrant following the forest ''corridor'' at it's narrowest point running SW-NE. ?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1290203.jpeg  B 1..jpeg
    P1290203.jpeg B 1..jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 187
  • P1290052.jpeg  B 2..jpeg
    P1290052.jpeg B 2..jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 118
  • P1290077.jpeg  B 3.jpeg
    P1290077.jpeg B 3.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 156
  • P1290080.jpeg  B 5.jpeg
    P1290080.jpeg B 5.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 120
What do you expect from this Ken really?

A

Andy I think these images as poor as they might seem, have a certain merit as most of us have seen distant BOPS in the field, and have "pulled our hair out" on these occasions...therein lies the challenge?

I think the points that I've raised have merit?.....If only to generate another "U turn" at least. ;);)

Talking ID here does not really make sense, but talking about digital photo artefacts may be interesting.
Look at this pic of Common Buzzard from Luxembourg: base of tail completely overexposed and all fine barring disappearing. Exactly the same happens in very distant birds in digital pictures. Motion blurring (be it the camera or the bird) gives the same result: 2 or 3 bars may merge and finer bars disappear altogether.
This said Sulawesi Serpent Eagle seems a good and reasonable call!

Attachments

• buteo2.jpg
    buteo2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 73
Talking ID here does not really make sense, but talking about digital photo artefacts may be interesting.
Look at this pic of Common Buzzard from Luxembourg: base of tail completely overexposed and all fine barring disappearing. Exactly the same happens in very distant birds in digital pictures. Motion blurring (be it the camera or the bird) gives the same result: 2 or 3 bars may merge and finer bars disappear altogether.
This said Sulawesi Serpent Eagle seems a good and reasonable call!

An interesting theory Tom!...digital Images of birds with white in the plumage taken at distance or closer (under less than ambient lighting), will invariably over-expose "the white" and reproduce an exaggerated artefact to the point where one should disregard the white component, as it will not be accurately reflected?.....mmm!

And what are the salient points on the "rump" of your provided image for CB as ID features, I too have seen CB with a pale rump on several occasions, but never one like as shown. :eek!:

As an aside do you have any images of CB with a "white undertail" with contrasting terminal bands, as I've never seen any in all my years ?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back