• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Alder Flycatcher, Maybe? Yukon Territory, Canada (1 Viewer)

jonsund

Florida Naturalist
Image captured while walking around Wye Lake, in the town of Watson Lake, southern Yukon Territory, Canada late June. Is this an Alder Flycatcher

Attachments

• WL_7688.jpg
    WL_7688.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 56
I would say that is a really good bet...appears to be an Alder for me. A Hammonds it is not , and surely not an Olive-sided....

Hello,

Those more expert than I tell me that the call is the only way to distinguish between an alder flycatcher and a willow flycatcher is by their calls.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

right but....

Hello,

Those more expert than I tell me that the call is the only way to distinguish between an alder flycatcher and a willow flycatcher is by their calls.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

You are right but the Willow isn't found in Alaska....yes, it could end up there as a lost bird, but on a normal basis the range is not that far north....Otherwise, yes, the 'call' is key to distinguishing it.

You are right but the Willow isn't found in Alaska....yes, it could end up there as a lost bird, but on a normal basis the range is not that far north....Otherwise, yes, the 'call' is key to distinguishing it.

True, but the trouble with somewhat out-of-range "crypto" species is that they're likely to be overlooked and their true incidence thus underestimated.

good point

True, but the trouble with somewhat out-of-range "crypto" species is that they're likely to be overlooked and their true incidence thus underestimated.

True.....I often wonder how often that occurs. You take those two birds (Willow and Alder) and unless you have voice recognition, one wouldn't really know for sure. So in that sense, you could have the Willow in Alaska if it isn't chirping away. Good point

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back