• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying bird (1 Viewer)

rompers1

It's funny that I'm even on this forum since I'm terrified of birds, however, today I saw a bird I've never seen before and am curious what it might be. The bird was about the size of turkey or eagle, it had white wings with brown edging and it appeared to have a bald head (pinkish). It took off before I could get a picture. Any ideas? I'm in NH.

Hi Rompers1 see this is your first post so may I welcome you on behalf of all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm sorry I can't help with the identifcation but I'm sure someone will be along before too long who can.

D

Rompers,
And another welcome to the Birdforum and another vote for Osprey. You can search our photo gallery to see a photo of one. If this still isn't it, try to give us a little more information such as where (what type of habitat), and what it was doing and maybe we can come up with some more suggestions. Good luck.

Was the bird larger than a goose? You say turkey or eagle size with short bill and mostly white with dark wing edges. You added unfeathered head. Anything else that you could add like in the woods, by or near river or wading, was it flying, soaring, perching? The Wood Stork would match the white with dark wing edges and it is unfeatherd on the head. However it is generally found along the Gulf Coast and Florida. Also, the Wood Stork would have a dark head and bill unless it was a juvenile, where you would find a yellow bill with black supraloral and lores. But the Wood Stork has a long pointed bill. It is difficult, at best, to ID a bird by writing description, but it can be narrowed down and then of course the Gallery here could pinpoint it.
Tom

The bird flew off as I was approaching it on a suburban street....looked like he was sitting there cleaning his feathers. I'd guess the wingspan to be apx. 4 ft. I've been keeping my eye out for him so that hopefully I can get a picture. It's driving me crazy!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back