• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black swans in my local park (1 Viewer)

Alan

I went for a stroll in my local park in South West London and much to my surprise on one of the lakes there were a pair of black swans amongst the usual collection of mute swans, ducks, cootes, Canada geese etc. Not surprisingly they were creating a lot of interest. They were slightly smaller than mute swans and had with red beaks with a single white band. I have been visiting this park for 50 years or so and have never seen black swans there before. Does anyone know where they might have come from? Might they have migrated from a colder climate, if so how long might they stay?
Alan

Hi Alan

There are actually quite a number of Black Swans knocking around the UK these days. They are all birds that have escaped from collections of capitive birds. Odd pairs are even breeding now.

Jason

There are also some at Stockers Lake to the north west of London. They have been there for years so presumably do not migrate or move around.

There was a pair at Audley End which did breed. There has been one hanging about Hatfield Forest (nr Audley End) from time to time

Last edited:
Edward said:
Swans producing goslings!! It's a miracle of science! ;-)

E

Rats !!!!! I'll be chucked out of the birders union for that!!

I looked at it and thought is that right. I'm putting it down to thinking of the geese I'm hoping to see in Norfolk this weekend!!

There is a pair breeding regularly in West Sussex for several years now, so who knows where the juveniles go each year. I have seen free flying birds near reading in berks.

Rich

Richard Ford said:
I have seen free flying birds near reading in berks.
Hi Rich,

Wondering what you mean by 'near reading' - does that mean they have learnt the alphabet, but can't quite cope with understanding whole words yet?

:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back