• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuffley Great Grey Shrike (1 Viewer)

Big Rob

Apparently there's been a GG Shrike flying about Cuffley in Herts for a month or so now, I was hoping someone could fill me in on where abouts it tends to "hang out"? I'll be coming in by train, so any directions from the rail station in Cuffley would be fantastic.

This from Herts Bird Club site... http://www.lanius.co.uk/index.html

CUFFLEY: GREAT GREY SHRIKE at Coldgate Farm. Access from public footpath adj to Cuffley Tennis Club. Follow path under railway viaduct then to right and under viaduct again, twds farm. As path bends to right from corner of wood (on right hand side), view hedge to right (R Facer)

Good luck!

Cheers, might make the treck tomorrow. Always been facinated with Shrikes but never seen one, so hopefully I'll pick up a lifer.

On Saturday, it was to the east (on the railway embankment) of this path, on the other side of the first ploughed field on your left you encounter when coming from the tennis fields. It is mobile and can be very distant!
Monday: Still present midday today showing extremely distantly from Car Park @ TL 302021 looking South towards hedgerow that climbs the hill @ approx TL 301015.
On Saturday it was here: http://www.multimap.com/s/juYrU8kA

I'm hoping to go to tommorow is it relatively easy to find if i follow the instructions. Also is it close or really distant all the time?
Thanks,
Luke

I'm hoping to go to tomorrow is it relatively easy to find if i follow the instructions. Also is it close or really distant all the time?
Thanks,
Luke
It can be a mile away if you're unlucky. On Saturday, it was about 50 yards away, close enough for reasonable digiscoping.

It was hiding in the bushes at times: I wouldn't have found it if I had been on my own. If no one has relocated it when you're there, scanning the trees and bushes should eventually be successful though. Chances are best in the morning. The main problem is the size of its territory.

Attachments

• GGS-1.jpg
    GGS-1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 111
I have an as level exam in the morning but after that wil ltry and get down for it. I don't have a scope can you not get nearer to it by hiding in bushes etc.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back