• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The aerial war of moths and bats (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

From NATURE

The aerial war of moths and bats by SARA ABDULLA

A warplane homes in on its target. Flying in darkness, it finds its prey by sending out streams of short, intense pulses of ultrasound, each far beyond the range of human hearing. But the target does not give in so easily, and fights ultrasound with ultrasound: detecting the homing signal, the target dodges evasively to avoid attack. Sometimes, it counter-attacks with blasts of ultrasound of its own that confuse and disorient the attacker.
A picture of modern aerial warfare? Yes — but warfare in nature, between bats and their hawkmoth prey. In a report in the Journal of Experimental Biology, Martin C. Göpfert of the University of Zürich, Switzerland, and Lutz T. Wasserthal of the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany show how some species of hawkmoth have hearing organs tuned to pick up the ultrasonic chirps of bats, and how the moths respond to such signals by evasive flying manoeuvres.
Until Göpfert and Wasserthal's study, only a few hawkmoths, in the moth subfamily Choerocampinae, were known to have hearing organs sensitive to ultrasound. The fact that these hearing organs were made from modified mouthparts "caused great surprise when they were first identified", the researchers comment.
The hearing organs are made by a combination of two mouthparts: the normally tentacle-like labial 'palps' (equivalent to an insect's 'lips') are modified into stiff, thin-walled, air-filled resonating chambers, which press onto the underlying 'labral pilifers', modified into a set of brush-like sensory filaments sensitive to sound. The pilifers are absolutely essential to the perception of ultrasound: moths without the palps can hear it, but with much less sensitivity than normal.
Göpfert and Wasserthal have now found that the same mouthparts have been pressed into ultrasonic service in a distantly related group of hawkmoths, the Acherontiinae. The modifications are different, but the end result is the same: acherontiine moths, which include the familiar 'Death's Head' hawkmoth (Acherontia atropos), use their modified mouthparts to detect the squeaks of predatory bats. When subjected to the appropriate frequencies in the laboratory, the moths responded by evasive flying. "Since the tuning of the acoustic responses in large acherontiine species seems to reflect specific adaptations to the echolocation frequencies of some large bat species, hearing in these hawkmoths presumably evolved in response to predation pressure exerted by these bats," the researchers say.
And the moths fought back — in addition to stunt flying, some moths produced their own ultrasound in response to receiving it. The reason, the researchers speculate, is to frighten away the attacking bat, an idea supported by a single observation of a Death's Head hawkmoth under attack by two bats. The moth produced a sound that startled the bats.

Some of the noctuids also can hear bats. I was watching the battles in the light of a trap one night. Some of them detected the bats coming up behind and dropped to the ground. The bats invariably missed. If you watched 'Seven Wonders of the World' a TV series on BBC where scientists gave their seven wonders of the world I seem to remember that Miriam Rothschild mentioned this when talking about a certain ear mite in moths. Apparently the ear mites jump on to a moths tongue when feeding on flowers but they only go into one ear otherwise the moth would not be able to hear the bats coming. The wonder was that they are found in Garden Tigers that do not feed so how do they get there.

Last edited:
Hi Peter
Long-eared bats (Plecotus) have learnt that moths do recognise the echolocation calls given out by bats.They home in on their prey by sight and listening with their large ears (photo attached) It is amazing how nature continues to evolve!!
Stiff
PS picture was taken by myself and I am licenced to do so.

(
peter hayes said:
From NATURE

The aerial war of moths and bats by SARA ABDULLA

A warplane homes in on its target. Flying in darkness, it finds its prey by sending out streams of short, intense pulses of ultrasound, each far beyond the range of human hearing. But the target does not give in so easily, and fights ultrasound with ultrasound: detecting the homing signal, the target dodges evasively to avoid attack. Sometimes, it counter-attacks with blasts of ultrasound of its own that confuse and disorient the attacker.
A picture of modern aerial warfare? Yes — but warfare in nature, between bats and their hawkmoth prey. In a report in the Journal of Experimental Biology, Martin C. Göpfert of the University of Zürich, Switzerland, and Lutz T. Wasserthal of the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany show how some species of hawkmoth have hearing organs tuned to pick up the ultrasonic chirps of bats, and how the moths respond to such signals by evasive flying manoeuvres.
Until Göpfert and Wasserthal's study, only a few hawkmoths, in the moth subfamily Choerocampinae, were known to have hearing organs sensitive to ultrasound. The fact that these hearing organs were made from modified mouthparts "caused great surprise when they were first identified", the researchers comment.
The hearing organs are made by a combination of two mouthparts: the normally tentacle-like labial 'palps' (equivalent to an insect's 'lips') are modified into stiff, thin-walled, air-filled resonating chambers, which press onto the underlying 'labral pilifers', modified into a set of brush-like sensory filaments sensitive to sound. The pilifers are absolutely essential to the perception of ultrasound: moths without the palps can hear it, but with much less sensitivity than normal.
Göpfert and Wasserthal have now found that the same mouthparts have been pressed into ultrasonic service in a distantly related group of hawkmoths, the Acherontiinae. The modifications are different, but the end result is the same: acherontiine moths, which include the familiar 'Death's Head' hawkmoth (Acherontia atropos), use their modified mouthparts to detect the squeaks of predatory bats. When subjected to the appropriate frequencies in the laboratory, the moths responded by evasive flying. "Since the tuning of the acoustic responses in large acherontiine species seems to reflect specific adaptations to the echolocation frequencies of some large bat species, hearing in these hawkmoths presumably evolved in response to predation pressure exerted by these bats," the researchers say.
And the moths fought back — in addition to stunt flying, some moths produced their own ultrasound in response to receiving it. The reason, the researchers speculate, is to frighten away the attacking bat, an idea supported by a single observation of a Death's Head hawkmoth under attack by two bats. The moth produced a sound that startled the bats.

Attachments

• Brown long-eared1 for email.jpg
    Brown long-eared1 for email.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 307
simondix said:
Apparently the ear mites jump on to a moths tongue when feeding on flowers but they only go into one ear otherwise the moth would not be able to hear the bats coming.
Amazing! When you consider how many children cannot tell right from left, it's remarkable that an ear mite can.
Ken

I've known for at least 36 years that some moths can hear ultrasound. Back in the days before infrared TV remote controls, my parents had one that worked using ultrasound. Many were the warm summer nights they'd curse me when they'd found I'd taken the remote control out to go shooting moths with it.

I'd walk down to the local stream and sit by it waiting for a moth to appear. Then I'd point the TV remote at the moth and press the button. Many of the moths would close their wings and plummet groundwards. One of the buttons (it had three - channel up, channel down and sound off) worked much better that the others, but I can't remember which.

Perhaps I should have published!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back