• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoverfly with extremely long ovipositor (1 Viewer)

Rob_D

Can anyone provide any information about this hoverfly? I found in my bedroom here in Bucaramanga, Colombia (about 1000m ASL).

I assume the long thing on it's abdomen is an ovipositor, but I've never seen anything so large compared to body size. Why would it need something so long?

Attachments

• wasp long ovi.jpg
    wasp long ovi.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 97
It seems a weird place for an ovipositor, coming out of the front of the abdomen, but there are some really weird things in the world of invertebrates. I'm wondering if it is a fungus?

Chris

Wow, thanks all, that is really impressive to get down to at least the right genus in only a couple of hours.

So it's a Papaya Fruit Fly, or something very similar. That would suggest that the long ovipositor might be used to lay into Papaya, which have fairly tough skin. Some Papaya are grown not too far from here and also in a few gardens so it makes sense.

There are certainly a lot more weird and wonderful insects here in Colombia than back in the UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back