• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly ID (S. France) (1 Viewer)

Dromo

Can anyone help ID this dragonfly? My guess is a Black-tailed Skimmer with much pruinessence but what do I know?

Attachments

• Blue Dragonflysmall.jpg
    Blue Dragonflysmall.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 89
Another example

Here's another individual. It doesn't have the white mouth but is otherwise the same.

Attachments

• HomeSep_014small.jpg
    HomeSep_014small.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 65
The first one isn't one of the two UK species. Southern skimmer sounds like a good call (I seem to remember it's extremely blue) but I have no experience of dragonflies outside the UK so shouldn't comment. Second one looks good for keeled skimmer to me, unless there's a confusion species I don't know about (wouldn't be the first time!).

Probably Southern Skimmer in the first photo, the 2nd may well be Keeled Skimmer

I agree, 1 has pale blue face and all blue abdomen and thorax
2 has brown face and all blue abdomen and thorax
I think O.Brunneum and and O.coerulescens are the only two all blue Orthetrum in your area and O.coerulescens never has a pale blue face.

@Andy. Since I made the original post, I have spent hours on the Web looking for suitable French sites. I was successful and they confirm your ideas. Thanks for responding (and to everyone else as well).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back