• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Tree Island (1 Viewer)

Leicaman

The island is south-west of Leigh-on-Sea station in Essex and, when I was young, was the local council rubbish tip. Now it is divided by a central road into:-

Essex Wildlife Trust nature reserve to the east. This is quite heavily covered with bushes and you are required to keep to certain paths. To the east and south are salt marshes which can harbour large numbers of Snipe and Little Egret at high tide. Off shore are large mud flats of the Thames which are covered with waders in the winter when the tide goes out. Also there are many Brent Geese in the winter months. On the island itself many small passerines can be seen and it is a good place to see Green Woodpecker on the ground.

Hadleigh Castle Country Parks to the west is quite different. It is open grass land with scattered bushes. In the middle of this is a model aircraft field which, amazingly, doesn't seem to bother the birds at all. On ther island itself it is mostly passerines but at the western end is a lagoon wher breeding Avocets can be seen in the summer. To the south is a creek again good for waders but they are closer than form the eastern end of the island. Recent rarities have included Grey Phalarope, Dartford Warbler and Ring Ouzel.

David Lee :cat:

I hope to report anything worthwhile in the future.

Sunday 5th December 500+ Golden Plover. More that I've ever seen anywhere before. I've only occasionally seen them here.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back