• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A walk on Two Tree Island (1 Viewer)

GaryJ

Yesterday was a bright sunny day in Southend, determined to make the most of the high pressure while it lasted I set off for a walk round Two Tree Island. Although bright it was very windy as I set off to try and improve one of my weakness's, wader identification.
There were large numbers of Brent Geese flying down river (Thames) and more feeding just off the island with a few Shelduck mixed in.
Went into the hide overlooking the lagoon. From where I saw Little Egret, Redshank, Greenshank, Widgeon, Teal, Lapwing, Ringed Plover and Meadow Pipit but no sign of the Grey Phalarope that had been reported all week, or at least I could'nt see it nor could my fellow watchers at the time.
Walking back round the shoreline the tide was now in full flood and large numbers of waders were on the receding mud. I saw Redshank, Dunlin, Turnstone, and Godwit (Bar Tailed I think !)
If the good weather continues must get some more practice at Wakering Stairs tomorrow.
Gary

I did a similar walk the day before you and fortunately had good views of the Grey Phalarope.

I also saw lots of Godwit,but all were Black-Tailed and also Grey and Golden Plover.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back