• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bees! (1 Viewer)

oldvet

Just in the past week my hummingbird feeders are being swarmed by bees. Does anyone have any info. that might help or explain what is going on? I would appreciate any replies.

My hummer feeders no. My Oriole feeders with the grape jelly YES!

I have read that you can cut back on the sugar in the nectar a bit and it is supposed to discourage the bees but I have not tried it.

Here's a link for some suggestions: Hummers

BTW, Hi oldvet and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I have fed hummers for many years and this year is the first I have ever been bothered by bees. I believe someone near my house has started bee keeping. I keep seven feeders on my back porch and they were so covered with bees, the hummers couldn't get to them. I also keep two feeders on my front porch, no bee problem there.

I found out yesterday that a person has bees approx. four blocks away and this could be the source of my prob. but I did move my feeders from my patio area to a shaded area. I can still observe the hummers, but not as close as I am accustomed too. Oh, and the bee problem has disappeared. I will move them back to the patio area next spring and if the prob. occurs again, I will know what to do. Thanks all for the suggestions and help.

I moved the feeders to a shaded area away from my patio and all the flowers and plants and guess what? No Bees. Thanks everyone for the help.

Well, that would explain why my hummer feeders are not bothered by the bees as they are all in the shade. ;)

A neighbor told me her method of keeping bees off a feeder.PAM, the anti stick spray used to keep food from sticking.I tried it on two feeders and it sure seems work and the Hummers still feed. Wish I had known it earlier in the season, there would have been a lot more bees alive today.

Another recourse discussed on my Humnet listserv is to rub almond extract around the ports but make sure none goes into the ports.

Just in the past week my hummingbird feeders are being swarmed by bees. Does anyone have any info. that might help or explain what is going on? I would appreciate any replies.

Hi! I had the samae problem last year when the bees were swarming. I called a 'Bee-Guy' and he said they will do this occasionally when on the move and need a quick food source. The 'Bee-Guy' said I did not have to do anything as bees and birds always figure these things out for themselves but I did not want them to create a new home in the building, which the bees have done in the past, so I filled the feeders with plain water and made sure the bee guards were in place and the bees left within two days and have not returned. May-bee (teehee) this will work for you. 3:)

I love to watch the Gila Woodpeckers land on my HB feeders. They aren't a bit afraid of the bees, snapping at any of them that get within range while they drink the nectar.

I feed the bees every day -- in another pan. This, for the most part, keeps them away from the HB feeders.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back