• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Radio tags and hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

Interesting, but should the results not have been expected? Make me carry a heavier load and I don't hike as far without taking a break.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought after my comment I should go back and look for a correspondence address. I'm not sure I should have to though. Seems to me that if people are allowed to collect wild creatures and run experiments, they should be required to post an honest report on the condition of or any fatalities of the subjects as part of the study. Seems only right.

There are strict, and strictly enforced, guidelines governing research involving live animal subjects. Those guidelines have legal force when those animal subjects have been obtained under governmental permit.

To suggest that there is anything less than "honest" in the published results of this study is to level a very serious charge, one that could seriously affect a young scientist's career.

Did you read the article, or just the abstract?

There are strict, and strictly enforced, guidelines governing research involving live animal subjects. Those guidelines have legal force when those animal subjects have been obtained under governmental permit.

To suggest that there is anything less than "honest" in the published results of this study is to level a very serious charge, one that could seriously affect a young scientist's career.

Did you read the article, or just the abstract?
I read the abstract which is what is posted. I did not say anything about this abstract was dishonest. I merely suggested that it should include an account of the subjects.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought after my comment I should go back and look for a correspondence address. I'm not sure I should have to though. Seems to me that if people are allowed to collect wild creatures and run experiments, they should be required to post an honest report on the condition of or any fatalities of the subjects as part of the study. Seems only right.
Let me re-phrase this:
".....they should be required to post an honest report on the condition of or any fatalities of the subjects as part of the study report.
EDIT: So does the article report on the condition of the birds?

Hi Rick,
I found the full report and read it. It said the hummingbirds were released afterward; I assume all were. The whole thing sounded very well done. I didn't mean to sound accusatory to this particular group, I just mean I think when we read about these studies and banding sessions, information about injuries or deaths should be openly disclosed and discussed and it doesn't seem that they are. Maybe I am wrong and just haven't read enough.

Ok. I sent an email asking about the subjects.
Hi All,
I received a very nice email back from the author and was told that only healthy birds were used, there were no injuries or fatalities and all birds were released without radio-tags. I had found and read the full article before getting the email back. I should have written and told the author so, but I completely forgot about the email I sent. I just thought there might be a few others not taking their anti-cynisium pills who would like to know about the welfare of the birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back