• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40x WA eyepiece on ED50? (1 Viewer)

wimvdam

So I looked around a bit but I can not find much info on people's experience with the 40x wide angle eyepiece (#7465) on the ED50 scope.

Has anybody tried this combination and what did they think?

There's obviously going to be some drawback to this combo, but the good news is that I live in sunny California and that I don't wear glasses. Currently I use the 27x WA on my ED50. This works great, but every now and then I wish I could get a little bit closer to those peeps...

Thanks,
- Wim

Last edited:
I have that EP and have tried it on my ED50. I live in equally sunny Ventura County (just down the road) and I find it too dim for my taste.

I think the ED50 caps out, performance wise, with the 27x wide EPs. I have all the Fieldscope EPs for both my ED50 and ED82 and keep the 20x MC wide on my ED50 mostly.

If you really need more horsepower, get an ED82. Yeah, it's a beast compared with the svelte ED50 BUT it'll deliver the goods my friend.

I have this E/P and like it on the ED50 as i don't get on with the zooms (always fiddling and a tunnel effect). If you can get one at a reasonable price it is certainly better than buying another scope.

So, here we have an opinion contrary to my own. Such is the nature of these questions on these forums. |:d|

I do not however agree that installing a high power EP on an ED50 is even a partial substitute for a larger scope. I only say that IF the OP cannot satisfy his viewing needs with the 27x EP on the ED50, that the best remedy for higher power is the larger scope.

I´m with Kevin on this one, I think 40xw is pushing the ED50 just too far. For my eyes anyway....you may find that like Andrew, the 40x is fine.

Have you thought about a 60mm ED Fieldscope, instead of the mighty ED82A? I´ve no idea how a 40x would appear on them, but I´ve seen one a few times in the field and really like it.

I read a test, where a dealer let customers try various astronomical eyepieces on an 85mm Zeiss Diascope. The consensus was that 1,3mm exit pupil was about the lower limit for most users on terrestrial objects, so 40x on an ED50 should be OK, if a bit dim.
The exit pupils at 75x on ED82 and 85mm DiaScope (new 20-75x zoom) or 60x on 65mm Swaro are smaller still.

John

Thanks for all your opinions on this. The point that for a larger magnification I will simply need a larger scope is well taken. I don't think that I want to be dealing with a fixed (i.e. non-zoom) eyepiece that on some days in the field is too dim to use. Instead I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on the 13-40x.

The money that I saved by not buying the 40x wide will go towards my next scope, which I plan to be in the 80+mm category (Kowa hopefully).

- Wim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back