• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LER for ED82A ? (1 Viewer)

leftysrule

Hi there
I have just purchased a Nikon ED82A field scope and I find the 25-75 eyepiece hard to use with glasses
As its not an option to remove them is there a LER eyepiece for this scope
I have gone crazy today looking for a LER for my scope but I now wonder if there is such a thing
Any help appreciated

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick,
I had an ED82A and liked it a lot, I changed it eventually because I didn´t like the narrow FOV and low ER of the zoom. However, the fixed MC and DS eyepieces were fine with my glasses on. The DS were better, gave more ER (they´re designed for some form of digiscoping). Strange eyecups, but great ER. I´d recommend the 30xw DS. A lot depends on the type of glasses you wear, so try before you buy or purchase from an online outfit that has a good returns policy.

Hi there
I have just purchased a Nikon ED82A field scope and I find the 25-75 eyepiece hard to use with glasses
As its not an option to remove them is there a LER eyepiece for this scope
I have gone crazy today looking for a LER for my scope but I now wonder if there is such a thing
Any help appreciated

Regards

Nick

zoom eyepieces from nikon are not very good, take the 30x McII

I concur with Pimpelmees…

I’ve found that Nikon’s optically excellent 30x fixed-power eyepiece provides ample eye relief (approximately 17mm, according Nikons supplied factory specifications) when mounted upon my 2003 Nikon FieldScope III ED. It is indeed fully multicoated. Its rubberized eyecup assembly MAY be kinder to the surfaces of your eyeglass lenses. Nikon’s proprietary serial number for this eyepiece is #7463.

Nikon’s proprietary serial number for this eyepiece is #7463

That eyepiece has 17.9 mm eye-relief but functions as the 38x MCII on the 82 ED.

The longest eye-relief 30x eyepiece for the 82 ED is the 6954 (30x DS). It has 18.7 mm eye relief (The 30x MCII, by comparison, has only 15.1 mm, though it is in my experience much better with glasses than is the zoom).

Either of these are MUCH better with glasses than the zoom, with its 12-14mm eye relief.

Get the 30x DS. It is awesome in all respects.

--AP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back