• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sigma 170-500mm and wildlife shots (1 Viewer)

ruffdog64

I use my sigma 170-500 with my canon 1000d and to be honest i`m not getting as close as i`d like with my shots , i see others using 400mm lens and they have closer results can anyone explain what i could be doing wrong?
here`s an example

unknown wader by ruffdog64, on Flickr

I use my sigma 170-500 with my canon 1000d and to be honest i`m not getting as close as i`d like with my shots , i see others using 400mm lens and they have closer results can anyone explain what i could be doing wrong?
here`s an example

unknown wader by ruffdog64, on Flickr

How much closer do you want to be? Seems close enough to me! and it's a green sandpiper I think.

Most of the shots you see are cropped to some extent.
Attached is a extreme example of the full frame as recorded in Camera and the finished web shot after cropping during processing.
I am guessing that you are not cropping at all!

Attachments

• wren_org.jpg
    wren_org.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 132
  • wren3.jpg
    wren3.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 164
Cropping is something i`ve never got round to, and don`t know how to do either, hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Depends on the software you are using to process your images but just about all software would give you a cropping option I would have thought.
Try goggling 'Cropping an image' or something like that as there are bound to be some basic beginner tuitions sites out there. With digital imaging processing plays a large part and it is something we all have to learn.

EDIT: I just tried typing in 'Cropping an image' and there zillions of sites offering you advice on the subject.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back