• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 Questions: Do you use Binoculars too? + (1 Viewer)

Chasville

So, I have a nice camera setup. Love taking pictures of birds, etc. But, I do find myself borrowing my wife's Nikon 10x42 Monarch's every now and then. So, first question, do you also have binoculars, or are you pure to just camera+lens?

Second question, a noob, what is digiscoping?

First question, absolutely. I would rather be seen out and about without my camera than without the bins.

Second: using a camera and a telescope together to take photos.

Niels

I don't feel dressed if the bins aren't round my neck!

and...

Chasville: I am a newb as well. I have gotten to the point, that I keep an older binocular in my truck along with a field guide.

So...my primary interest is birding. The camera is to take pics of the birds I see.

Digiscoping - using a camera to take pictures through a spotting scope.

John

By the way - nice pic for your avatar. What kind of hawk is that?

I am a birder before a photographer so would definitely have bins with me when out birding (and normally have a pair with me when not, just in case).

My binos are virtually welded to my hands so much so that the locals here call me Senior Prismaticos(Mr.Binoculars in English).My camera is used principly for Id puposes when in doubt. Eddy.

I could never see the point of bins after all i have a long range tele lens so why bother ?

Well after going out with a friend sevral times who loves bins I soon saw the reason to have some , they are so much lighter and brighter have a great field of view so you can see a vast area that meens more chance to see a distant bird in turn that also gives more chances of getting a shot .
Yes i love bins now and wont go out without them.
Rob.

Chasville: I am a newb as well. I have gotten to the point, that I keep an older binocular in my truck along with a field guide.

So...my primary interest is birding. The camera is to take pics of the birds I see.

Digiscoping - using a camera to take pictures through a spotting scope.

John

By the way - nice pic for your avatar. What kind of hawk is that?

The avatar is a juvenile Goshawk.
Story =
I was home, in the living room. Hawk landed on our bird feeding station in our backyard, saw another hawk in the window (himself) and flew out to attack it, talons thrust forward. He bounced off the window, and fell over backwards. I saw the window bow some and was immediately glad we had the armored windows, otherwise he would have crashed through and I would have been in trouble with an enraged injured raptor in the room with me. He then picked himself up off the bush below the window and flew over to that purch on a small maple near our house, watching for the other bird to come flying out. I then got my camera and was able to click off a few pictures. When I tried to get to a better vantage point in the house -- dining room window -- he flew off.

As to my questions:
2) Thanks

1) I am neither a "Birder" nor a "Photographer".

I like birds, and have birdscaped our yard. I have counted about 51 different kinds of birds in our yard since we've bought the place. That includes 6 kinds of hawks (added, we think, the sharp-shined a week ago). And my wife and I will go walking/hiking in places in NC to try to see birds. I also like to just listen. Those that we have identified from the Stokes Guide and from the Internet, we kinda know. Oh, and I have a birdcam in our bluebird house, connected to a VCR. But that's it. My interest pretty much stops there.

b) I have always enjoyed taking pictures, and have taken a few "really good" ones. I started with a Kodak X25, then a Konica AutoS3, then the Nikon N80, now a D300 and soon a Canon 7D. From my experience with the Konica AutoS3, I found I wanted to be able to change lenses. From my experience with the N80, I found I was not "a photographer" because I didn't get any better with the F1.4 80mm lens. So, when I got the D300 I redid the whole kit, and got a 12-24mm zoom, the 18-200mm zoom, the 50-500mm Sigma "Bigma" zoom. Then I got a 50mm prime, and then replaced that with the 105mm macro lens -- fell in love, that is my "prime". Yet, I'm not into exposure settings or processing. I don't do hdr or other special effect stuff. I'm not a "manual" kind of guy. Manual is just a way to get faster response from the camera in a consistent setting of birds that don't like to sit still. I may click off 10-100 pictures to a camera clubbers 1-10. Theirs will be way better. Mine, well, I took a lot of pictures.

Basically, I just like taking pictures, primarily for the record or for the extra focus/concentration on the scene/image/thing. My brain shuts off for a bit, and leaves the rest of the world out/behind.

So, today, had an experience that cemented that I do want both binoculars and the camera. I was at the dining room table having lunch with my wife and saw something. I went and got her binoculars, and what I saw was a mourning dove with ruffled feathers preening itself, somewhat. No need for the camera for that. But the bino's helped me see. So, given the last few days worth of thought/focus and some forum activity, I've decided that yes, I do want the Canon 15x50's.

By the way, I bought my wife her Nikon 10x42 Monarch's a few years back for Christmas, and she just loves them.

I always have my bins around my neck but they can get annoying and in the way when trying to take pictures sometimes so they're probs a necessary evil in most respects.

i have a pair that i keep in the car but typically, i don't go out with bins around the neck.
i've always got my big lens though and use that to scan more often than not.

I am a birder before a photographer so would definitely have bins with me when out birding (and normally have a pair with me when not, just in case).

I have had some good results using my (now) lowly Canon A75 Powershot (3.2Mp) and my Leica 10x25 Trinovid binoculars - hand-holding!! You have to be Lucky with subject and light and timing and Steady handed AND - good at juggling!!

This shot was at 3x optical Zoom on camera and at same focal length through one of the Leica eyepieces on auto focus/auto settings... all I ever use!

HandheldDigiscoping_zps0d9e1dc7.jpg

more detailed images here:

Deer1_zpse386a023.jpg

Deercloseup_zps7290908d.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back