• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon 18x50 accessories (1 Viewer)

bridgetc

hi all!
i'm new to here, and birding and am in need of some info. my dad just bought the canon 18x50 IS and i want to buy him some accessories for it 4 christmas. what would everyone recommmend? i think he wants a bag also for safe transport.
please help!!!

First, a good, wide neoprene binocular strap for carrying it. The strap that comes with the 15/18x50 IS is too narrow and hard to take the weight comfortably.

Secondly, a good set of rechargeable NiMH batteries (AA/RH6 size) with a charger and a little box for carrying the spare set. I use the Varta 2700 mAh Power Accu, but I have heard good things of Sanyo Eneloops also. These take care of the concern of running out of power.

Thirdly perhaps a lightweight monopod or a monopod walking stick. By this I mean a telescoping pole that has 1/4 inch thread at one end. The Canon has a tripod thread in the body, so you can thread a small monopod like this right onto the binocular. The advantage is that when you have the monopod at a lenght of some 15-30 inches, you can keep your hands down at roughly waist-level and view in comfort literally for hours, while regular hand-holding tires most arms in 5-10 minutes or less.

And fourthly, at leas if he plans to use them in inclement weather, an eyepiece rainguard would be good. Canon does not make a suitable one, so you would need to find a generic one that fits, and the Canon eyepieces are very large so many don't fit. I use a Fujinon rainguard made for their FMTR-SX range of individual-focus marine binoculars, but some others will probably fit as well.

Fifth, perhaps a high-quality microfiber cloth made for wiping coated eyeglasses and lenses.

The binocular comes with a lightweight bag which is okay for most purposes, but for better protection during travel a proper padded camera case or a gun case of a suitable size would be an improvement

Kimmo

Welcome to BF, bridgetc! Congrats on your choice, I´ve nothing to add to Kimmo´s recommendations but would love to hear your Dad´s opinions of the 18x50IS (I have the 12x36 version and love them). Happy Birding and Accessorising!;)

thanks! and one more thing

thanks for the reply guys! very helpful! il defo get the strap,and monopod and probably the recharger.
just another quick question i saw a picture of a 18x50 with what looked like uv filters on them on ebay are these needed? Also any particular bag in mind as i have no idea what size one to get?

BTW, the Sanyo eneloops (and other low self-discharge NiMH batteries) are very useful if you don't use the powered product everyday (or don't keep it charged on a regular basis). Normal NiMH batteries self discharge over a week or two and for infrequent use you'll find the batteries dead (usually when you most need them!).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back