• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diascope 65 fl (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone, just wondering is the diascope 65fl suitable for digiscoping say compared to the 85 model and what the zoom be suitable or should I consider a fixed eyepiece.
Thanks for the advice,
Darren.

You can digiscoping with any scope and given the quality of the Zeiss it should deliver good results, obviously the 65 will not let in as much light as the 85 so in dull conditions digiscoping with the smaller scope will be harder. Personally I'd digiscope with the eyepeice I want to use for viewing, if you want to use a zoom then go for it.

obviously the 65 will not let in as much light as the 85 so in dull conditions digiscoping with the smaller scope will be harder.

Or to put it another way... as the smaller scope has a shorter focal length, it is actually just as bright as the 85FL at given zoom position. BUT it gives you less power, which means that you have less "reach". If you zoom-in with the camera or the scope to compensate the lack of power, you run into the situation described by postcardcv.

The Zeiss zoom is an excellent digiscoping eyepiece, but if your camera lens absolutely needs more eye-relief, you can get a couple of millimeters more by using a fixed eyepiece.

Best regards,

Ilkka

Or to put it another way... as the smaller scope has a shorter focal length, it is actually just as bright as the 85FL at given zoom position. BUT it gives you less power, which means that you have less "reach". If you zoom-in with the camera or the scope to compensate the lack of power, you run into the situation described by postcardcv.

forgot that fact that the 65 has a shorter focal length than the 85...

Thanks for the info guys.I have a fuji f30 and plan on getting a sony W series as backup.Do you guys know where I can find pictures taken with a Diascope 65 or 85 for that matter on this forum.
Thanks again.
Darren.

.Do you guys know where I can find pictures taken with a Diascope 65 or 85 for that matter on this forum.
Thanks again.
Darren.

All mine are taken with a 65mm Zeiss, at least 90% of them with the zoom; or as Ilkka says just search the gallery with Zeiss as a keyword.

Darren,

Here are a couple of shots taken with a Fuji F30, using an SRB-Griturn digiscoping alignment collar. The Bobolinks were digiscoped last year with the zoom eyepiece on a Zeiss 65, and the Snowy Owl two weeks ago using the same eyepiece on a Zeiss 85.

Mike

Attachments

• 2008_1105WillandBBC0038.jpg
    2008_1105WillandBBC0038.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 2007_0728Bobolinks0013.jpg
    2007_0728Bobolinks0013.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 172
Mike those are great photos, although I am no camera expert the fuji is a great camera and from what I've seen in the gallery the zeiss is a great scope too.Thanks for making my mind up guys, I just cannot wait to get this scope and get busy.
Thanks,
Darren.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back