• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jobu JR-3 Gimbal Head (1 Viewer)

BarryH

There's been quite a few threads on the site about the various gimbals that are available and it seems to be a fact the the Wimberley reins as King.

For those of us with a smaller "long" lens, this can be a bit of an overkill. With this in mind I searched all the threads and asked different questions looking for something suitable as an alternative for a lighter lens combo. Many thanks to those who helped, GrumpyBadger especially and his good lady wife. Quite a few suggested I look at the Jobu JR-2 gimbal. As I couldn't find the overall size on any of the websites, I asked the makers in Canada for the dimensions.

The sizes came back with their reply and they also listed the Jobu JR-3, a new model to their range, this was the shortest of the lot. It also had a rounded main stem like their bigger pro models, not the I beam shape of the current JR-2. As the JR-3 was not available in the UK I ordered one direct from Canada, five days later it arrived on my doorstep. To say the least it "looked" very impressive. The lateral arm now has a strengthening bar added where the JR-2 doesn't.

I took it out yesterday and all I can say I was very pleased with the performance. The adjustments were easy to make and it was extremely smooth to use. Never having used the Wimberley I can't say how it compares with that but I have used the Indian copies and the Manfrotto 393 and it's a big improvement for me over those. Much lighter to carry and far less bulky, I'd say it's ideal for my smaller D300s and AF-S 300mm combo.

Not sure when they'll be here in the UK or what the cost will be when they arrive but they are certainly well worth a look.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._3_Gimbal.html

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back