• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Remote Control (1 Viewer)

i321587

Hi

My Canon 550D offers the option to take pictures using a computer as the screen (tethered they call it). It relies on a USB cable connecting the camera to the computer. Very useful but I would like the possibility of setting the camera up on a tripod overlooking my feeders while I work in my office (in a different room).

Does anyone know of a set up using some sort of wireless connection or is a very long USB cable available?

All suggestions would be useful.

Thanks.

Tony

Can use a USB extension cable, but needs to be an active or hub type for anything over 5 metres otherwise the signal degrades

I'm no expert on this, but guessing if you could get a 20m lead, just the one or however many leads you used to make up the distance.

Do know 5m is the longest without any amplification though.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to do some more research before I buy anything, although I guess that these days there must be some sort of wireless option available (probably at a higher cost).

Tony

Canon RC-6 wireless remote Remote Control shown as compatible with 550 is in argos at £18.99, I bought a similar one for my Sonys that works fine for about £4 off ebay

Thanks for the suggestions but they don't quite meet my requirments.

The "tethered" system allows you to connect the camera to a computer, using a USB lead, and see the viewfinder image on the computer screen. Alongside on the computer screen is a "button" which you can click with your mouse to actually take the picture.

So what I'm looking for is something that will allow me to set the computer up in a different room so that if anything arrives on my feeders while I am working I can see it on the screen and take a picture. A long USB lead would seem to be the answer but does anyone know of a wireless system that will transmit the viewfinder image to my computer screen?

Thanks

Tony

Do you have an iPhone? If so, DSLR Remote could be what you want.

You still need to connect your laptop and camera via a USB cord. But you can connect your laptop to your iPhone (or iPad) via wifi. then you can use your phone to see the viewfinder image, and to take a shot.

Hi Frank

Many thanks for your helpful suggestion.

I downloaded the 30 day trial of DSLR Remote and tried it on my ipod touch. It worked well but there was a lag of a couple of seconds between pressing the 'Fire' button on the ipod and the camera actually taking the picture, by which time the bird had moved out of shot.

I'll try it again but if you've used it have you had better luck.

Thanks again.

Tony

No, I don't recall any problems with such long lag times. I do remember their online support being pretty good, probably worth checking there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back