• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has Anyone Used the Tract Toric 10X42? (1 Viewer)

BruceH

There was some discussion about the Tract Toric 10X42 beginning in the Binocular Bargains thread. Since that is a tread for bargains and not comparing merits of a particular binocular, I created this thread.

Does anyone have hands on experience with the Tract Toric in the 10X42? (There is already a specific thread on the Toric 8X42). If so, how does it compare to some other models?

I would also be interested in knowing how it handles and feels in the hand and if anyone has compared the handling to the Zen Ray Prime. A comment was made that it had great handling but that can be a preference that varies greatly between individuals. The shape of the Toric looks to me to be a lot like the Zen Ray Prime. I was wondering if the feel was similar? I had a Prime for a month and although it had some good qualities, I was not thrilled with the feel and handling, especially the straight walled tubes.

JG ... I believe I was on that site about a month ago reading a thread on Toric scopes. Conversations get a little hot here once in a while, but our comments are mild compared to some of comments addressed to one of the individuals in that thread. :king:

I went back to see what was new but the site seems to be having some script issues at the moment conflicting with my browser. I will check back again in a few days. As I recall, the SWFA forum also has some Toric owners.

Per an e-mail received today from Tract Optics, the 10X42 Tract Toric is back in stock. They were originally expecting the shipment to arrive mid March.

I'm communicating with Jon lacorte from Tract for the last week about there Toric 10x42. Very nice guy and helpful. He answers emails even on Sundays! Very impressed with the communication so far.
He emailed me yesterday that the 10x42 is back in stock again.
I ordered right away and will post my findings and experience with it soon. My gut feeling is telling me i won't be disappointed.

Hi Guys,

I encourage you if you ever have questions to reach out to me or especially Jon L. He is a mastermind in optics and its one of his passion in life. He truly makes himself available any time of the day he is awake.

Trevor
Tract Optics

I'm communicating with Jon lacorte from Tract for the last week about there Toric 10x42. Very nice guy and helpful. He answers emails even on Sundays! Very impressed with the communication so far.
He emailed me yesterday that the 10x42 is back in stock again.
I ordered right away and will post my findings and experience with it soon. My gut feeling is telling me i won't be disappointed.

Jeda,

Thank you very much. I'll pass on to Jon your compliments. Very excited to read your report as well!

Trevor
Tract Optics

Hi Guys,

I encourage you if you ever have questions to reach out to me .....

Trevor
Tract Optics
Trevor ...... One of the Forum members reported that he had problems with the eye cups collapsing with his Tract Toric 10X42. The unit was sent to the California facility but they were unable to resolve the issue to his satisfaction.

Do you know if this new production batch of the 10X42 Toric has any eye cup changes that may have firmed up the eye cups or are they unchanged from the version this member had?

Thanks.

Trevor ...... One of the Forum members reported that he had problems with the eye cups collapsing with his Tract Toric 10X42. The unit was sent to the California facility but they were unable to resolve the issue to his satisfaction.

Do you know if this new production batch of the 10X42 Toric has any eye cup changes that may have firmed up the eye cups or are they unchanged from the version this member had?

Thanks.

Hi Bruce,

That's interesting, in that we do not have a facility in California. Our offices and warehouse are all in Pennsylvania. I tried searching but could not find this discussion. Can you share if it was on bird forum or another?

I personally have not run across any issues with the eyecups other than on one forum there was a "my friend has this issue" on a thread, with no pictures or primarily source information...

If there was an issue, it must have been a one off and unfortunately, sometimes one gets past the inspectors when leaving the factory. If that were to ever happen, we would promptly replace the as well as cover the shipping expenses.

Trevor
TRACT Optics

Treavor ..... Here is some more background info that may help.

The following link is to the post from a member of this Forum that mentions the problem with the eye cups. Two issues are mentioned. One is about optical issues with one of the barrels. I attribute that to a sample variation. The second issue is about the eye cups frequently collapsing.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3525455&postcount=925

In another post, the same member mentioned that the 10X42 Toric was out of stock so Tract was unable to do an exchange. The remedy from Jon was to send the Toric 10X42 "to their repair service in San Diego (Kamakura)". It is my understanding that Kamakura is the supplier/manufacturer of the Toric and so I assume they handle any repairs that can not be directly handled by Tract. Following is a link to that post:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3526228&postcount=21

My initial impression was the same as yours that the eye cup was a one off issue. However since it appears the Kamakura facility did not resolve the issue to the satisfaction of the customer, that makes me want to know if it is a design issue that applies to all units. If there is a design issue, was it addressed in the latest production run?

HI Bruce,

Thank you, I see it was a pretty recent post so I haven't caught up on that thread all the way, ha.

Yes, this explains California now. Kamakura does have their US office and repair there. This is our manufacturing facility in Japan along with some other brands. Any potential issue will almost always be brought in through our PA office but with us awaiting shipment it was more time sensitive to have the customer go direct to this facility.

I spoke with Jon a bit to see what the issue was on this unit. Evidently there there was no screw locking compound placed on the threads of the screws that hold the eye cups. Work was done and the unit was return shipped the same day it arrived (simply applying the locking compound on two screws). I also received confirmation that Kamakura assured that the current shipment is not affected and this was an isolated incident of only a few units at most. Having worked in sourcing for some years now...I'm guessing the technician had a mind fart for a few seconds ;)

Trevor
TRACT Optics

Treavor ..... Thanks for the update. It sounds like Tract is satisfied with the eye cup performance. It also appears that Tract did their best to get the binocular in for a fix as quickly as possible.

I do have another question. Per some prior e-mail exchanges I had with Jon L., Tract was working on adding a case for the binocular line. I was wondering were that is at and if it will be included with the binocular or if it will be a separate accessory item? If separate, do you have an approximate price?

Thanks.

Treavor ..... Thanks for the update. It sounds like Tract is satisfied with the eye cup performance. It also appears that Tract did their best to get the binocular in for a fix as quickly as possible.

I do have another question. Per some prior e-mail exchanges I had with Jon L., Tract was working on adding a case for the binocular line. I was wondering were that is at and if it will be included with the binocular or if it will be a separate accessory item? If separate, do you have an approximate price?

Thanks.

Hi Bruce,

I would say we are happy with the factory and QA commitment to make sure no potential issues arise again. We will, however, take care of any issue that may arise with the upmost respect and as quickly as possible.

Case wise, there are two in the works. One of which will be an OPP case, around $10-$15. The second will be a little more feature rich and a little bit more at retail than the first. These are still in development but I will surely post when they are ready or when I have images.

Trevor
TRACT Optics

Case wise, there are two in the works. One of which will be an OPP case, around $10-$15. .......

Trevor ...... Thanks for the update. Would you please tell me what "OPP" stands for? (Optional purchased product?)

Also, do you have an approximate date for when the new cases will be available?

Trevor ...... Thanks for the update. Would you please tell me what "OPP" stands for? (Optional purchased product?)

Also, do you have an approximate date for when the new cases will be available?

Hi Bruce,

OPP (in this situation) stands for opening price point. Depending on whom you talk to and the retailer, it can run the gambit of meaning. In TRACTS case, it will be the first tier offering of the most affordable case. Keeping in mind that cut and sew products usually have a 50%+ margin, I would say this case would resemble options around the $25-$35 mark at brick and mortar retailers.

I don't have a ETA yet but I'll look into that and post here when I do get a better idea on it.

Trevor
TRACT Optics

First Case Now Available

Trevor mentioned that Tract was in the process of obtaining a couple of cases for their binoculars.

The first one is now listed under Accessories. Looks like a nice basic storage case for $10.

Description

Lightweight Ballistic Nylon case provides a great protective storage solution for your binoculars. Water Resistant finish with Velcro closer makes this a simple yet durable option for keeping your binoculars stored safely. Fits 8x42 and 10X42 TORIC and 8X42 and 10X42 TEKOA models, but will easily accommodate most binoculars with 42mm objectives.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/accessories/binocular-storage-case

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back