• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member (1 Viewer)

Kenj

Hi
A new member from Cambridge UK retired recovering after a bad fall 7 years ago I have been a collector of binoculars for a while just srarting to take interest in bird watching I did have one pair of binoculars serviced at Glasgow but was talking to someone and they said the gentleman Doug had past it came as a shock as the binoculars he was servicing for me he had a job taking them apart so we had several chats on the phone. Wondering if you could recommend a service centre.
I have several different makes
2x Carl Zeiss Uboat binoculars
2x Kern 6x24
1x Kern 8x30
1x Swarvoski 8x30
And a few others
Ken

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Ken and a warm welcome from me too.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily.

Dear Ken,
Welcome.

Doug's passing was a shock and rather sudden.

Regarding your binoculars.
Try East Coast Binocular Repairs. I don't know how far they are from you if you wanted to take the binoculars.

Thank You for the contact I am often round the east coast in the motorhome we often pop into RSPB Tichmarch most of my binoculars are WW2 and they are nearly all fogged I have modern Leica and Swarvoski
Ken

Last edited:
I got a number of mainly British military binoculars from a contact who thought they were all in reasonable condition. Taylor Hobson, Wray etc.They were not expensive, but nearly all are fogged too much for me to use, but I haven't had them cleaned.
Maybe one day.

Hi Ken,

Welcome, nice to have another fellow collector here, I have found this forum a great source of information and members are very helpful, you have some very nice binoculars, have you photographed them or have an album somewhere like flkr to show them?

Ben

Hi
I have several different makes
.....s
2x Kern 6x24
1x Kern 8x30
And a few others
Ken

Hi Ken,

a welcome from Switzerland to Cambridge UK (my daughter studied at Newnham College, I have some nice memories from there).

Interesting you got those Kern binos. I got myself a 6x24 (civil version), 6x30 (army version) and a number of 8x30's (both civil and army) from different periods up to the time when they were rebranded Leica.

Where and how did you get yours ?

Canip

Kern

Bought mostly on eBay find Kern one of the best light very clear view I will buy them all day as I think for the price there's non better;) bird watching keep a pair in the car and motorhome
Cheers Canip
Ken

Last edited:
This might help you Ken:

How to attach pictures

You need to resize your photo so it is less than 490kb The dimensions of any photos should be no more than 1200 pixels on the longest side. If you need more help let us know

If you are in a new thread press the grey "Manage Attachments" button. If you are replying to a post you need to press "Go Advanced" first rather than use "Quick Reply".

Press "Browse" to find the picture and then press Upload. Now wait until you see that the upload has completed (information about the file will appear). Attach any other pictures in the same way (there is a maximum of 5 pictures per post) and then press "Close this Window".

Your picture(s) should now be attached.

Ken,

Many thanks. I have the Kern Pizar 8x30, nice binocular in great condition, I just picked up a nice Leitz Bidox 6x30 which I will post when I get time. I use flkr to keep my photos if you interested, I always enjoy looking at other collections.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95019762@N07/

Good luck with your collecting.
Ben

And what a collection you have very nice.you have more than my local shop
I see you have a Sard 7x50 or two I am looking for the 6x42 can be bought in USA but the import tax was high missed two in a auction as I have been on a short break to Norfolk been Trying to find a Kingfisher been trying for a while with no joy one day.
I have a Kern AARAU Alpine Stereo 8x30 AR that is one of my favourites
The other Kerns are two Armee-Modell 6x24 one 1943 the other 1954 these look new when I bought them and had them serviced they are the ones I alway pick up. I have also 2 pairs Uboat 7x50 that are used by me star gazing.
A very small folding Carl Zeiss a Kershaw 8x30 serviced and ok to use
And a very large monocular ex army Giro huge lens ok for a passenger to use on a long drive. There are a few more now I know how to load pictures I will.
Ken

Ken,
Wish you good hunting for the Sard 6x42, it's a bit of a holy grail to find in good condition, they do come up now and then, but high prices, Bryn Best sold a really nice one about 2 years back on the auction site, it went for around £1,100 if I remember right. A lot of Sard bins have some oxidisation of the metal plates, I read that it is chemicals in the case leather that causes it. Yes, buying from the States can be expensive, I bought my Kern Pizar from the USA, and ended up paying another £88 import and duty. I have a Sard 7x50 that I need to get around to restoring, I have had it awhile, but I keep getting diverted to easier jobs !! All those Kerns you have are pretty good. The Uboat 7x50s are nice finds as well. I really should try to specialize, as you see from my flkr site, I have a bit of a scattergun approach.

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back