• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x30 IS for eyeglass wearers (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I am interested in the Canon 10x30 IS, from what I have read it could be what I need. However according to specifications the eye relief seems to be a bit short (14.5mm) so I would like to know if somebody is using it with eyeglasses.
Thanks,
Alfredo

alfredotod said:
Hello,
I am interested in the Canon 10x30 IS, from what I have read it could be what I need. However according to specifications the eye relief seems to be a bit short (14.5mm) so I would like to know if somebody is using it with eyeglasses.
Thanks,
Alfredo

Hi Alfredo,

although the 10x30 has less ER than for example the 15x50 Canon IS (15 mm) it works better with my eyeglasses because the eyepieces together with the eyecups of the 10x30 (and BTW the 12x36) have a smaller diameter. This let me see more FOV than with its bigger sibblings. Twistable eyecups would be better to find a suitable position anyway. As recommended here and elsewhere so many times you should try if this binocular fits to your eyes and eyeglasses.

Steve

I have the 12x36, which I think has the same eyecups. I don´t always wear specs when using it, but have done without any problems. I think maybe the shape of your specs is as important as the shape of the eyecups....I find little round ancient UK National Health Service frames (bought secondhand in Camden Market circa 1985!) are best, because they sit back into my eye-sockets and allow the eyecups of the Canons that bit closer.

I believe that the question of using a binocular with eyeglasses may have something to do with whether one is near sighted or far sighted. In many binoculars, I see a greater field with my eyeglasses on and the cups down, than without eyeglasses and the cups up. I think that your question may only be resolved when you examine the binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Meanwhile, have a look at the "Classifieds-for sale or wanted" section of this Forum, there´s a member called Photovisions selling a pair of Canon IS 10x30 at a very reasonable price.

I have the 10x30s and wear glasses, and the eye relief is just enough for me to see the entire field. This is no guarantee they will work for you. The eye relief you need depends on your glasses and how close to your eyes they sit (which also depends on your facial structure). My old, larger glasses, for instance, do not allow me to see the entire field.

You really need to try them to see if they provide enough eye relief for you.

Clear skies, Alan

Like those above I use my 10x30 IS with eyeglasses and see the whole field. If anything there is perhaps just a fraction too much ER for me with the eyecups down and moderately close fitting glasses.

I'm a moderate myope with astigmatism so my overall correction is -3D spherical and in my worst eye -2.5D astigmatism.

I suspect the only people who might have problems are hyperopes (people with a positive prescription).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back