• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 62 APO (1 Viewer)

Richard,

The galleries are closed at the moment. I'll certainly have a look at your photos later. I think that there is just a lttle bit more sun in CA than there is in the UK :) . Much of the time in Britain the sky is grey and there isn't much light. A larger objective might make a big difference here. But I still want the portabliity of the Leica 62.

Steve

Richard,

I've checked your photos out. You have some excellent results there. I was pretty much convinced to buy a Leica 62 until I read Lindsay Cargill's post about digiscoping in the grey light of Scotland. I was particularly impressed with your photos as they mostly appear to have been taken with the camera hand-held.

Steve

Richard,

I'm very impressed with the shots - looks likeI'll be getting a Nikon Coolpix shortly to go with my 62 !

Will be posting some pictures soon hopefully and now its getting greyer here it will be interesting to see how the scope performs.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Regards

I now have both the Apo 62 and, recently, the Apo 77 and there is no doubt that both are excellent. Though I am new to digiscoping I would say that the 77 is definitely more versatile - it allows faster shutter speeds and generally wider appertures than the 62 in comparable situations. If you wish to do digiscoping even half seriously (!) in the UK, then I would go for the 77. However, the 62 does produce quite good digiscoping results given its small size, though the weather conditions and subject have to be 'more perfect' If size / weight is a major concern then you could do a lot worse. Optically they are both excellent, though the 77 is brighter, obviously, but not as much as you would think as the eyepiece at 20x is 16x on the 62 ,so its more down to a difference in magnification. However, I find that even on 60x zoom the 77 image is very sharp though DOF suffers. The coating on my 62 has marked a bit in a short time and this is after with very careful use so that is definitely a worry. See my other thread / post re- Skylight Filters in the Digiscoping Forum !

I spent a while testing this scope at Titchfield Haven yesterday and was as impressed with it as everyone else on this thread!! However one thing I did notice was that the main focus wheel seemed rather stiff to turn so far so that I could imagine in certain conditions with less grip my finger would slip across it. The fine focus wheel was OK. I thought it was due to it being 'new' but as I say the fine one was great so I'm not sure.
Can anyone advise if they have noticed the same? or whether this was a one off.

Allen said:
I spent a while testing this scope at Titchfield Haven yesterday and was as impressed with it as everyone else on this thread!! However one thing I did notice was that the main focus wheel seemed rather stiff to turn so far so that I could imagine in certain conditions with less grip my finger would slip across it. The fine focus wheel was OK. I thought it was due to it being 'new' but as I say the fine one was great so I'm not sure.

The focus wheels on my APO 77 were very stiff when new, and the coarse focus was almost unuseable. After a few weeks they loosened off and both now work really well.

I find this true of my APO 77 also,
The focus wheels are fine now, for me the 62 was too small, but then i don't do much
walking, the 62 was so closley priced to the 77 i could not justify buying the smaller scope.

The Zeiss is similar - but have no fear, the stiffness soon eases. That said, I never use the coarse focus on the Zeiss, only the fine - it's perfect. Have you put a Zeiss + zoom next to a Leica + zoom? It's an enlightening experience.

Allen said:

Not wishing to flog a dead horse but I had narrowed down my next upgrade to this scope as I had been mightily impressed optically. However I again looked through another birders scope this weekend (this model) and again found that the main focus wheel was almost impossible to move. I would have thought that being a 'used' scope this would have loosened off so I again ask - is this a general characteristic which does go away with use? Or is it a factor that needs getting used to (although I must confess I can't imagine how!!). Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back