• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Classic vs Zeiss Dialyt (1 Viewer)

Dakotan

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to purchase our first good binoculars and I have a question.
What are the differences (if any) between
Zeiss 10x40 B/GA T*P* Classic Binoculars
and
Zeiss 10X40 B/GA T*P* Dialyt Binoculars ??

Thanks for your kind help.

Dear Dakotan,

The Dialyts may be older but if they both have the BGAT*P* they should have identical performance. The binoculars were called "ClassiC," after the Design Selection models came out.

My 7x42 Zeiss Classic was labelled Classic on the box and Dialyt on the binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
thanks Arthur,need clarification

the bins (dialyt) are supposedly less than three years old purchased from Cabellas. I thought the ClassiCs had been around for quite awhile. Someone at work said he thought the difference was the roof prism type, and that the one had ABK and the other something less good but easier to waterproof?thanks for your help.
Paul

I think Arthur is right. There is no mechanical or optical difference between a 10x40 T*P* Dialyt and a 10x40 ClassiC. The 8x30 and 10x40 always used Schmidt-Pechan prisms. Only the 7x42, 6x42 and 8x56 used Abbe-Koenigs. None of the Dialyt/ClassiCs are really completely waterproof except the individual focus 6x42 and 8x30.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to purchase our first good binoculars and I have a question.
What are the differences (if any) between
Zeiss 10x40 B/GA T*P* Classic Binoculars
and
Zeiss 10X40 B/GA T*P* Dialyt Binoculars ??

Thanks for your kind help.

They are the same model, however, over the years there have been various forms of the 10 x 40 ranging from the "B" model with high eyepoint eyepieces through to rubber armouring and a short focus model introduced in the early 1980's upto Phase coated (P* or P they are both the same). Henry is correct in as far as the prism type used

This information was given to me during my first induction/training session on my first day of working for Carl Zeiss UK as a new employee, and i am learning all the time, especially as they have all the facts at their disposal.

i hope you appreciate that some of the information which i have been privy to will not be communicated over the internet, as this is unprofessional, but i felt i could respond to this thread

Paul Hackett

Northern Sales Executive (Carl Zeiss Ltd)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back