• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wintibird smashes the 1000 barrier (1 Viewer)

Indeed and several weeks to go yet

Better not tell Jon perhaps;)

Congratulations André! I was particularly intrigued by your account of species seen in Sulawesi as I've chalked that up as a maybe destination in the near future.

You can do it Jon! :t:

Thanks everyone. After planning the year I was pretty sure that I would make it. I was surprised however to reach the goal so early. Especially Ghana went better than expected. I can relax now and will probably add some more species here at home and another small batch in India in December.B :)

André

Hi André
Congratulations! Amazing trips, I especially like the last report and the nice pictures from Indonesia!
Did you take a year off from work, or did you manage to squeeze in all those trips in school holidays?
Best wishes,

Hi André
Congratulations! Amazing trips, I especially like the last report and the nice pictures from Indonesia!
Did you take a year off from work, or did you manage to squeeze in all those trips in school holidays?
Best wishes,

Hi Florian,

I actually left my school and work as a supply teacher at the moment. Like that I was not restricted to school holidays. With a permanent job all this trips would not have been possible.

André

Last edited:
My heartiest congratulations Andre. There's nothing quite like looking back on your days notes and - "1000! That was my thousandth species for the year!!!!" :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations André! I was particularly intrigued by your account of species seen in Sulawesi
You can do it Jon! :t:

Me too, you did really well there, I was particularly gripped by the ground dove, Geomalia, and little hanging parrot :t: out of interest, did you use a guide at Lore Lindu, or was that all you? and was the geo in the 'stake out stretch' above the nightjar clearing?

Me too, you did really well there, I was particularly gripped by the ground dove, Geomalia, and little hanging parrot :t: out of interest, did you use a guide at Lore Lindu, or was that all you? and was the geo in the 'stake out stretch' above the nightjar clearing?

Hi Larry,

The Geomalia was indeed in that stretch above the nightjar clearing. On the first day we flushed it and it wasn't seen again. On our second attempt we first saw it briefly and then waited for 30 minutes. Suddenly it hopped out on the trail and we could slowly follow it for about 10 minutes. Cracking views we got on that bird!
I was on the Birdtour Asia trip with Frank Lambert. However, unlike on other tours I have been, it was more birding with friends than being led to the birds. The overall skills in the group were very good and many birds were found by group members and not only by Frank (who I can highly recommend). At Tangkoko we also had local guides. One local guide we met at Lore Lindu didn't really know the birds.....
The Ground Dove just shot over the road. It was most probably feeding just beside the road....
The Little Hanging Parrot was nicely seen at Molibagu Road near Dumoga Bone Nationalpark.

André

Crappy pic of a great bird (It's hard to believe that this is just a Zoothera thrush...):

Attachments

• geomaliabf.jpg
    geomaliabf.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back