• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are fora like this making folk 'lazy'? (1 Viewer)

This is also an international forum, so someone from Western Canada, for example, who goes to Europe for the first time will see hundreds of birds they have never seen before. Other people with 17000 posts might like to look at the gallery or the butterfly forum because they can't get out for whatever reason or haven't birded before. Not everyone here has space or money for field guides either. As stated by others, this forum caters for all levels of ability, old school, modern birders who started late and use cameras as a tool for id purposes as well as a nice photo and beginners. The reasons are manyfold and sometimes particular to one person only. Live and let live. At the end of the day, if you think the person is stupid, don't help them, its your choice, just as its their choice to be lazy/need confirmation/testing the waters/whatever. I woudn't worry about the why, if you feel like helping do it, if not don't.

Come, come . . .. one forum, two forums ;)

Hello Nutcracker,

For those of us with a smattering of Latin, fora allows us to show off. After being tortured by Latin, for too long, I can understand a desire to exhibit such travail. However, it is still an accepted usage.

Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Showing off in similar vein, there is just a smidgeon of an argument that the relevant portion of the thread's title is in the genitive case, in which case, fori (sing.) or fororum (pl.) are correct. Fora and Forum are correct in the nominative case, whilst forum and forums are correct in English.

Does the above qualify as an entry for the Pendant of the Year award?

On topic, there've been a few less patient BF members who've expressed views robustly when questioning a poster's inability to look in a field guide. These do the individuals concerned a disservice - but the resulting opprobrium is always good to read. ;)

Just for a change, I have in mind submitting a thought for identification. Not a photo (blurred or otherwise); not a song description or recording; nor a written description of something which could be a wren or an albatross.

Just a thought.

Peter ;)

This is also an international forum, so someone from Western Canada, for example, who goes to Europe for the first time will see hundreds of birds they have never seen before. Other people with 17000 posts might like to look at the gallery or the butterfly forum because they can't get out for whatever reason or haven't birded before. Not everyone here has space or money for field guides either. As stated by others, this forum caters for all levels of ability, old school, modern birders who started late and use cameras as a tool for id purposes as well as a nice photo and beginners. The reasons are manyfold and sometimes particular to one person only. Live and let live. At the end of the day, if you think the person is stupid, don't help them, its your choice, just as its their choice to be lazy/need confirmation/testing the waters/whatever. I woudn't worry about the why, if you feel like helping do it, if not don't.

I get all of this Andy, I really do.
I love all wildlife in general and birds in particular. I even like digital photography especially when it helps with my bird-watching and ID skills.
I try to encourage and assist anyone I can in all the above - even my two daughters through even their adolescent years. No small task.

I'm just saying I feel a lot more inclined to help folk who show even a smidgen of attempt to help themselves, .......and I'm afraid I do wonder why some of them seem not to want to do this. Won't stop me trying to help though.

Just wondered if others shared my curiosity - seems most don't, and that's ok too of course.

I'm just saying I feel a lot more inclined to help folk who show even a smidgen of attempt to help themselves, .......and I'm afraid I do wonder why some of them seem not to want to do this.
I'd suspect fear of looking foolish if their provisional guess is badly wrong will stop a lot of people doing so.

One thing I do find disappointing.. Is someone asks a question, someone replies "bird X", followed by people saying "seconded" (or "+1" if they are cool!), but no one gives the original guy any pointers as to why it is X and not Y, or what to look out for in the future.

Now I can't grumble too much as I don't spend any time contributing to that forum, but it seems like a lost chance to educate people, and get them interested and thinking for themselves.

Not ID matters specifically, but I'm surprised that so many members use BirdForum to ask even the simplest questions that would be much quicker/easier to Google than starting a BirdForum thread.

I'm often tempted to respond with LMGTFY. ;)

I get all of this Andy, I really do.
I love all wildlife in general and birds in particular. I even like digital photography especially when it helps with my bird-watching and ID skills.
I try to encourage and assist anyone I can in all the above - even my two daughters through even their adolescent years. No small task.

I'm just saying I feel a lot more inclined to help folk who show even a smidgen of attempt to help themselves, .......and I'm afraid I do wonder why some of them seem not to want to do this. Won't stop me trying to help though.

Just wondered if others shared my curiosity - seems most don't, and that's ok too of course.

:t:

One thing I do find disappointing.. Is someone asks a question, someone replies "bird X", followed by people saying "seconded" (or "+1" if they are cool!), but no one gives the original guy any pointers as to why it is X and not Y, or what to look out for in the future.

Now I can't grumble too much as I don't spend any time contributing to that forum, but it seems like a lost chance to educate people, and get them interested and thinking for themselves.

To be fair, there is a long list of people that that do explain, or give reasons for their opinion. Sometimes when a series of threads by the same poster includes the same bird or birds, in the subsequent thread, it suffices to say species name if it has already been explained why its what it is. Some people ask for reasons as well and tend to get a fuller answer. Sometimes people want to help, but don't have the time for long explanations.

Not ID matters specifically, but I'm surprised that so many members use BirdForum to ask even the simplest questions that would be much quicker/easier to Google than starting a BirdForum thread.

I'm often tempted to respond with LMGTFY. ;)

To the less experienced person, like me, search engines churn out so much irrelevant garbage, yes, I know, the question wasn't specific enough and you can't always rely on WIKI to give you the correct answer. If you search for Blackbird photos, for example, you get upwards of 25 different species and lots of other non related stuff. So it is easier to ask on bf questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back