• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover poser Nigeria (1 Viewer)

Dan drough

Me again, this time with a possible juv or non-breeding Grey Plover - but why is it so brown? That puts a big question mark in my mind.
Taken on 25 Dec 2003 on a small creek at low tide in Bonny Island Nigeria (South end of the Niger River & South of Port Harcourt).

Attachments

• 100NIKON-DSCN0039_DS#119A78.jpg
    100NIKON-DSCN0039_DS#119A78.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 143
  • 100NIKON-DSCN0037_DS#119A91.jpg
    100NIKON-DSCN0037_DS#119A91.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 118
  • 100NIKON-DSCN0036_DS#119A5C.jpg
    100NIKON-DSCN0036_DS#119A5C.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 100NIKON-DSCN0033_DSCN0033.jpg
    100NIKON-DSCN0033_DSCN0033.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 100NIKON-DSCN0032_DSCN0032.jpg
    100NIKON-DSCN0032_DSCN0032.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 111
Leucistic Grey Plover, unless it is just bleached by tropical sunlight.

I did once see an Oystercatcher in Britain where the usually-black part of the plumage was a similar brown (if not even paler), so such things can happen.

Michael

I wouldn't have said leucistic Michael - the tonality is correct but appears to have a more 'rufous' tinge. Possibly erythritic?

If erythritic, the center of scapulars etc. that normally appear black (or at least very dark) would still have been this dark colour - red wouldn't normally prevail against black. Hence, I would agree on leucistic. A lack of melanin would also give the remaining colours "more power"; i.e. the rufous hue could be due to the black not taking over as it usually does. In any case, there certainly is a lack of melanin compared to a "normal individual" of this species. If there's an excessive amount of other pigments is rather hard to say; to me the remaining colours doesn't seem strong enough for this...

Well, above doesn't affect the ID of the bird though!

NB: Don't think it is just bleached by the tropical sunlight. Melanin is one of the few pigments that is quite resisitant to sunlight. Still, odd things do happen!

Last edited:
There was a very brown Grey Plover at Filey Dams last spring that had some very competent birders fooled until the underwings were seen.

Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back