• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tract Toric 8x42 Experience (1 Viewer)

I tried, and tried, and tried, probably a dozen times, to find a comfy (ergonomical) 8x32 that I could easily use, and haven't found one yet. Yes, i liked the Cabelas Euro so much I modified the ER (gaskets) and eyepiece diameter to make it work. I finally gave up on that experiment (even after buying and using a demo 8x32 SV), and bought the 8x42 config. Glad I did.

I tried, and tried, and tried, probably a dozen times, to find a comfy (ergonomical) 8x32 that I could easily use, and haven't found one yet. Yes, i liked the Cabelas Euro so much I modified the ER (gaskets) and eyepiece diameter to make it work. I finally gave up on that experiment (even after buying and using a demo 8x32 SV), and bought the 8x42 config. Glad I did.

Honestly...it took me longer to go from 42mm to 32mm than it did from 10X to 8X! DOWN to a 32mm was quite a MOVE for me. I've had exit pupil drilled in my head since my first experience with r****scopes. So I KNEW going from 42mm to 32mm was a BAD MOVE! Live and learn! The little Vortex Viper HD 8X32 opened my eyes to how good a 32mm could be. Of course for 32mm I think the SV is the cat's meow. ESPECIALLY traveling(more than a road trip from Athens, AL to Roscoe, Tx!) But there is no doubt in my mind all things equal, a 42mm is easier to use.

........... You are getting a smaller exit pupil with a 10x42 and it makes a difference in a lot of areas including eye placement. That IMHO is why if you want a 10x it is better to go to 10x50 like the bigger SV.

A smaller exit pupil can make more for difficult eye placement, but after a point, it starts to lose significance. In my experience, a 4.2mm exit pupil of a 10X42 is more than enough for easy eye placement.

One of the strong points of the Swaro 8X32 SV EL mentioned in multiple posts on this forum is it's ease of eye placement. The exit pupil of a 8X32 is 4.0mm, just slightly smaller than the 10X42. If there is no issue with eye placement of a well designed 8X32, then that should also be the case for a well designed 10X42.

Some people may have good reasons for not wanting a 10X42 (more magnification shake, less depth of field, smaller FOV, etc), but ease of eye placement should not be an issue if the binocular is well designed. The bigger concern in regards to ease of eye placement, be it a 8X42 or a 10X42, is the design of the eye piece and eye cups.

Concerns about eye placement with a 4.2 exit pupil of the Toric would not be a factor in me giving this model a try.

Last edited:
Jgraider, Denco and Phil ... Those are all well done reviews. Thanks for posting them. Dennis, the photos are a nice bonus! :t:

Denco, and others,

I would agree very much with your comments on the Toric. Our 10x version also provides a *very* nice view for the price. Ours does differ from yours a bit. The focus wheel on ours takes much more effort to move than is necessary, or commonly seen. Fortunately, there is no slop/backlash, and the rubber cover provides great traction. Also, the diopter ring turns much too easily. IOW, the two wheels are backwards in what their turn efforts should be. Not a big deal to me, but the diopter ring in particular will no doubt bother some as it really should not be so easy to turn.

I thought the ergos are very nice too. The only slight quibble being a somewhat loose fitting of the rubber armor at the objective ends of the barrels. I did notice some CA. Not a lot, but then again I am not particularly sensitive to it anyway. I fear however that people who might be sensitive to it might not be happy with it. I look forward to hearing/reading from someone who it more capable to assess CA than me about what they think of this aspect of these very nice binos.

While I am not ready to state that the Toric is better overall than a Conquest HD or a Razor or a Meostar HD, I do think it is a better buy than those three. I've got a lot of binos that are much more expensive than our Toric, but I really enjoy using the Toric anyway, and am glad to add it to the fold.

BTW -- there was a few hitches when I purchased it, but Mr. LaCorte handled the issues extremely quickly, and to my great satisfaction. It's really nice when the (co-)owner of a company returns your emails within an hour or two.
I tested the Toric's 8x42 again for CA by using a black chimney against a white sky and I found the CA control to be just as good as my 8x32 SV and just as good as any ED glass binocular I have tested except for the Zeiss FL which is a little superior for CA control. With the Toric I see no CA on-axis with a little bit at the edge which is normal. All binoculars even ED glass ones have a little CA at the edge that I have tested. I tested flare again and the Toric was better than my SV's at controlling flare when looking towards a setting sun. These are excellent binoculars for the money.

Ok...Thanks a lot! Was just kinda comparing some specs of some of the smaller/lighter 42mm binoculars:

Toric 8X42- 6 inches long...weight 26 oz(Thanks Dennis)
Trinovid 8X42- 5.8 inches long...weight 28 oz(My measurements)
UV HD + 8X42- 5.6 inches long...weight 26.5 oz(My measurements)
Victory FL 7X42- 6 inches long...weight 27 oz(My measurements)

So looks like the Toric is the lightest here and the UV HD + the smallest..
That is really helpful chill6x6 when you post all the comparative measurements like that. Nice!

Dennis,

Well I admit you have somewhat surprised me here. I was totally prepared for one of your..."if it ain't a Swarovski, it is a POS" rambles, diatribes, whatever. However I tip my hat here. That was pretty well done and seemed an honest attempt at describing the Tract for what it is, not dissing it for what it is not.

I enjoyed your posts an applaud the effort. :t:

Dennis,

Well I admit you have somewhat surprised me here. I was totally prepared for one of your..."if it ain't a Swarovski, it is a POS" rambles, diatribes, whatever. However I tip my hat here. That was pretty well done and seemed an honest attempt at describing the Tract for what it is, not dissing it for what it is not.

I enjoyed your posts an applaud the effort. :t:
Thanks. The Toric really surprised me. I used it today birding and I still can find nothing major wrong with it. You forget about the slightly smaller FOV compared to the Swarovski in actual use. It is the first mid-price binocular I have tried that has alpha quality eyecups that don't have a lot of slop when you rotate them out. The focus is great with even tension both ways and no play. The optics are bright, sharp and crisp and are as good as anything out there. The build quality is excellent. This is a great find by gjraider. He used it in Africa for two weeks and compared it to many different binoculars under tough conditions and it was one of the best in the camp and that is saying a lot.

Thanks. The Toric really surprised me. I used it today birding and I still can find nothing major wrong with it. You forget about the slightly smaller FOV compared to the Swarovski in actual use. It is the first mid-price binocular I have tried that has alpha quality eyecups that don't have a lot of slop when you rotate them out. The focus is great with even tension both ways and no play. The optics are bright, sharp and crisp and are as good as anything out there. The build quality is excellent. This is a great find by gjraider. He used it in Africa for two weeks and compared it to many different binoculars under tough conditions and it was one of the best in the camp and that is saying a lot.

I know just another story from the manufacturer, but going off of JG's Africa test..

I was in South Africa last May. First time I had put the Toric's thru its paces, as I came on with Tract at about the same time. My PH asked what my binocular manufacturer was being that he hadn't recognized the logo. He was using Leupold McKinleys at the time. He liked the Toric right away and took a few minutes to go over it and do some viewing. The next day, he asked me if he could use my Toric for that days hunt...I of course said yes as his eyes are much more trained to spot African game than mine.
As with this community, it was a great compliment for someone who earns theri living looking thru optics daily to be that impressed by one.

Anyway, just thought I share that little story.

Trevor
Tract Optics

I used the Toric's 8x42 right at sundown yesterday and the flare control was excellent. I am still very impressed with the optics and the ergonomics. I was going to buy the new Nikon 8x42 MHG's but since getting the Toric's I see no need.

Sounds like another confirmation that second tier bins are becoming extremely close to top tier bins in optics and build; but this time with even less initial cost.

When I first saw this thread I said, "Great another China bin like the ZRay".!

Glad to hear it is much more than that. Also glad to hear the "Made in Japan" branding is something more than the "Made in Japan" branding found on some Leupold product such as the Mohave.

Would you go as far to put it on par with the old Nikon HG/LXL/Premier??? Note that I haven't handled the Genesis, but in my mind the best second tier bin (8x32) has been the HG/LXL/Premier... however, its ergos in hand never worked for me.

CG

I would be going from memory because I don't own a Nikon HG now but I would say the Toric impresses me more than the HG ever did in brightness and sharpness and especially CA control. I got rid of my Nikon HG's because I remember them having quite a bit of CA and not being especially bright like this one. I have had a LOT of Zen Rays and I never met one I liked or for that matter most Chinese binoculars. All the Zen Ray's I had had sloppy fitting eye cups for example and there would be something I didn't like about the optics being either glare or reflections. The Chinese binoculars have QA problems in general. This Toric show me that if a binocular is made in Japan it can be as good as one made in Europe, as far as, QA goes. This is the first second tier binocular I have seen that is honestly getting close to top tier binoculars for a lot less money.

Dennis,

It was also the build quality of the HG/LXL/Premier I was highly impressed with and set a standard for me with "Made in Japan" binocular product. Solid, smooth, and functional in every way I could think of. Super smooth no play right amount & even tension focus mechanism, kudos on the diopter adjustment ring and marking of the diopter adjustment ring (if that survived later year production models which it may not have), hinge tension just right, and more kudos for the eyecups. I fully suspect the new Monarch HG to fall short of its predecessor in this regard. I also feel the EDG I never stacked up to the same quality level given the wandering diopter adjustment and bubbling body armor; the two Japan made maven B3s I have, despite being good, are not to the same standard either. I also found the same with the Vortex Viper, and of course the Leupold japan is at the bottom of the totem pole (my first Mohave, pre BX series, was noticably better build than the later BX model). All these with the exception of the EDG I are a lower cost binocular, so something has to give. Care to comment on the build of the Tract relative to the HG/LXL/Premier as best you can recall, and maybe some of the other made in japan binoculars you've owned?

CG

Last edited:
Dennis, (your post 94)

I was just using my old 8x32 LX/L today. (That is the truth!) It is still a real good binocular. It is still very bright with no CA at all. It has a nice flat field over 411'@ 1000yd FOV. There is an excellent review of it on Allbinos. It is ranked #4 among the 8x32 binoculars.

http://www.allbinos.com/187-binoculars_review-Nikon_HG_L_8x32_DCF.html

Nikon still lists 8x32 LX/L and you can find them on the Nikon Sports Optics website for the USA. It is listed under their Specialty Binoculars as the 8x32 Premium (its new designation.) There is one recent 5 star review of them.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...2.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

Also here is an excellent review of the the older, heavier 8x32 HG comparing it with a Swarovski 8x32 EL from Alula magazine. It is written in English.

http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_7_nikonHG_swaro32EL_GB.shtml

Bob

PS. I forgot to make a statement about its construction: It is built like a tank yet comfortable and well balanced in my hands!:t:

Last edited:
CG, (your post 95)

I had a Nikon 10x32 EDG in the first double hinged version which was sold only in the USA. It had problems with its exterior covering bubbleing and the cover on the focus wheel stretching but it did not have a wandering diopter.

After 2 years of use the corrugated rubber covering on the focus wheel stretched and caused problems focusing the binocular and the exterior covering on the objective tubes started bubbling. I contacted Nikon through their NY office and they had me return them for examination to Nikon California. After they arrived Nikon California advised me that they would replace it with the single hinged EDG model now in use in Europe and the USA. Nikon California had to contact Nikon in Japan to get a new 10x32 EDG for me.

This took a total of just under 3 weeks time. For all I know they put the optics from my old one into the new one I received in exchange. I could not tell a difference in their views.

My new replacement 10x32 EDG has worked perfectly for the 2 years I have had it. The Diopter was not changed at all as far as I can tell.

Allbinos has reviewed the 8x32 EDG and ranks it 1st among the 8x32 binoculars it has reviewed.

http://www.allbinos.com/187-binoculars_review-Nikon_HG_L_8x32_DCF.html

Allbinos has not reviewed any 10x32 binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
Dennis,

It was also the build quality of the HG/LXL/Premier I was highly impressed with and set a standard for me with "Made in Japan" binocular product. Solid, smooth, and functional in every way I could think of. Super smooth no play right amount & even tension focus mechanism, kudos on the diopter adjustment ring and marking of the diopter adjustment ring (if that survived later year production models which it may not have), hinge tension just right, and more kudos for the eyecups. I fully suspect the new Monarch HG to fall short of its predecessor in this regard. I also feel the EDG I never stacked up to the same quality level given the wandering diopter adjustment and bubbling body armor; the two Japan made maven B3s I have, despite being good, are not to the same standard either. I also found the same with the Vortex Viper, and of course the Leupold japan is at the bottom of the totem pole (my first Mohave, pre BX series, was noticably better build than the later BX model). All these with the exception of the EDG I are a lower cost binocular, so something has to give. Care to comment on the build of the Tract relative to the HG/LXL/Premier as best you can recall, and maybe some of the other made in japan binoculars you've owned?

CG
To me the build quality of the Tract Toric 8x42 really surprised me. Let me tell you I am very picky about build quality because I am used to having alpha level binoculars and I can't find anything wrong with the Toric. The armour is very high quality and tight and feels really good in your hands. IMHO I like the looks of it better than the Nikon HG because it is simpler and cleaner more like a Zeiss SF in look and design. What is interesting is Tract uses a softer grade of armour to form the lip or extension around the objective opening so it kind of feels cushy and it bends unlike a lot of binoculars that is stiffer and more rigid but if you think about it if you drop your binoculars they will most likely hit on the objectives because that is the heavy end of the binocular and the Tract's soft lip will cushion the blow just like a rubber ball. There is review where a guy said he dropped the Tract's on the ground and it didn't even hurt them. I would wager they struck the ground on that soft rubber lip on the objective end. Good idea. The focus is excellent with a speed to me that is just right and enough tension that you don't overshoot your focus and they are even in both directions with NO slack. The diopter is on the right eyepiece and it stays where you put it. Mine has not moved at all. A BIG advantage of the Tract's over say the Zeiss Conquest's HD or a Maven is that they are considerably slimmer and they don't feel as chunky in your hands. That was a big reason I didn't care for the Conquest's. Also, the Trac's are the first mid-range binocular I have ever tried that has alpha level eye cups. The rubber is very comfortable where it meets your eyes because it is smooth and the outside is a little rougher so you can turn them easier and it is actually the correct size for my eye sockets. When you rotate them out they are precise and tight and almost fluid in their motion like a Swarovski. The length of the eye cups also match the eye relief well so I don't get any blackouts either. Overall I am very happy with the Trac's.

PhilR, interesting your comments on the 10x42. I liked the 8x so much I ordered the 10x as well. I found it excellent, BUT not nearly as impressive as the 8x. Not sure why but that's the way my eyes saw it with my samples.

denco, excellent review. Glad you like it, and good to know I haven't totally lost my marbles.

Interesting that this goes on between same models of differing magnification.... I felt much the same about my 10x32 Swaro EL WB but never did find my 8x32 Swaro EL WB to be as impressive as the 10x. Hoped for an allbinos review on this one to see if it would score stronger than the 8x sibling; unfortunately that never happened.

CG

I used the Toric's 8x42 right at sundown yesterday and the flare control was excellent. I am still very impressed with the optics and the ergonomics. I was going to buy the new Nikon 8x42 MHG's but since getting the Toric's I see no need.

Glad they did well against the flare for you. From reading your earlier post I know that was a key factor for you.

Hoping to read more reviews after a few more weeks behind them.

Trevor
Tract Optics

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back