• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Lesser Black Backed Gulls. (1 Viewer)

Cosworthlady

Unfortunately they've came back to the very same chimney stack as last year. I say unfortunately bacause last year there were 3 chicks and 1 was pushed off fairly early and the other 2 also fell to their deaths at about 3 weeks. Its very sad. Will it be the same pair? Theres about 40 stacks so why they choose that one i'll never know.

Just spotted another 2 nests on the opposite side of the street! I think we'll be busy evading attacks. My neighbour had her hair pulled this morning by a diving gull whist she was out walking her dog. It doesn't happen if she is alone though. It must be the dog they see as a threat.

on further inspection I think they are herring gulls. The birds on the other side have very black backs so I think they are LBBG,

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 131
very interesting! Ur so lucky to have these gulls nest by you! Can they cause damage if they dive bomb you and hit home? draw blood? etc..

very interesting! Ur so lucky to have these gulls nest by you! Can they cause damage if they dive bomb you and hit home? draw blood? etc..

They've stopped dive bombing passers by for now thankfully but the black shiny cars seem to be getting all the grief at the moment.

This is a small picture of what the gull did to our car when our poor cat tried to hide underneath it. You may have to zoom in but I can assure you all the white dots are seagull poo. I couldn't get it all in in one shot LOL.

Attachments

• ABCD0006.JPG
    ABCD0006.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 121
I see you live in Edinburgh. So do I and yesterday I witnessed two adult LBBG's divebombing a man and his dog in my street. They weren't getting nearer than about 10 feet, but the guy still seemed a bit distressed! And the dog was going mad.
Thought no more about it until today when I was walking home from work and two streets away a LBBG started divebombing me! Again it got no nearer than 10 feet, and although I remained the epitome of cool :king: , I can see why this would upset some people!
Is this behaviour linked with protecting chicks, which would surely be up on the roofs anyway. Why do they perceive a threat from us?

Laurence

I see you live in Edinburgh. So do I and yesterday I witnessed two adult LBBG's divebombing a man and his dog in my street. They weren't getting nearer than about 10 feet, but the guy still seemed a bit distressed! And the dog was going mad.
Thought no more about it until today when I was walking home from work and two streets away a LBBG started divebombing me! Again it got no nearer than 10 feet, and although I remained the epitome of cool :king: , I can see why this would upset some people!
Is this behaviour linked with protecting chicks, which would surely be up on the roofs anyway. Why do they perceive a threat from us?

Laurence

The gulls around here have stopped dive bombing now. There are 3 chicks on the chimney stack and both parents are feeding. I'll get the videocam out tomorrow and try and get some good shots of them. I think they are just protecting their young. We are seen as a threat. I must admit the pair opposite are quite amusing. My neighbour feeds a stray cat and leaves biscuits on her windowsill for it and thought the cat was being very greedy cos there was none left. I was able to enlighten her. You see, a large transit van parks in the street , and the gull sits there until it is quiet all around then he/she flies across to the window and eats all the biscuits. It then returns to the roof of the van to do it all again. Tee hee. The parents are making a right racket first thing but its probably all of them as I know there are another 2 nests further up. They have chicks also but I dont film them incase people think I'm filming their houses LOL. The neighbours down my end know i'm a nutter. Incidentally my son lives up near the ski slope and they have a breeding pair of gulls and they have managed to knock down a chimney stack on the house opposite apparently.

Would you believe they are still squawking now.... Noisy things they are.

You should try and visit Aberdeen..! Every year (especially when they have young) the local press cover stories about people being attacked by Gulls and pressure is being put on the Council to Cull them.If you are not aware that you are about to be "swooped" at,it can be a scary experience.

You should try and visit Aberdeen..! Every year (especially when they have young) the local press cover stories about people being attacked by Gulls and pressure is being put on the Council to Cull them.If you are not aware that you are about to be "swooped" at,it can be a scary experience.

Ditto Gloucester, where it's mostly Lesser Black-backs. Your pics, Cosworthlady are Herring Gulls, by the way.

I think most of the young perished in the awful gales we had. This is a picture of herring gull chick being fed.

Attachments

• 2nd August 2007 (7).JPG
    2nd August 2007 (7).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 2nd August 2007 (6).JPG
    2nd August 2007 (6).JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 80
I was walking home in the dark from a mates Barbie a short while back and a gull starting swooping at me. I think it saw my whiteish cap and must have thought i was a gull. They would be ok if they didnt make so much noise in the morning. Not exactly songbirds are they. But a trip to the beach wouldnt be the same without them squarking away. Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back