• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Scotland (1 Viewer)

gordon hamlett said:
Yes, but you were told by me and it is just possible that I was a teensy weensy bit biased!

Gordon Hamlett

I think you have every right to be biased, Hope I did not upset you by my topic but I think it deserved a mention

Jim

Euan Buchan said:
Check the RSPB website for details but Loch Garden is a good place

I'll second that one! Loch Garten has to be my favourite RSPB reserve. It's got such a good mixture of birds. You've got the resident Ospreys for a start, and a few more of the less common birds (such as crested tit and capercaillie [If you think you can cope with a 5:30am start for caper-watch!]) Well worth the visit. I'll be going back up there in 2 weeks.

I'll also be visiting Loch Ruthven (also an RSPB reserve) which is quite near Inverness. It's one of the best places to see Slavonian Grebes in the UK.

Oh, and this is my first post! :)

Oh, another nice option if you're even remotely interested in sea birds is The Isle of May , which has an astounding array of birds. (click the link for more info)
It's also got the added advantage of having the boat trip sail from Anstruther - home of Scotland's No.1 Fish and chip shop! :) (and local to me! :) )

Additionally, for your Raptor hunting, the Falls of Clyde reserve is worth a visit. They've got a resident pair of peregrines there. It also has an added advantage of location. The falls themselves are stunning, as is the village of New Lanark. Always a good tourist stop. You could even manage to stop off for their regular Badger watch to see their badgers, if you're interested.

Last edited:
Watch out for the wild Haggis. They can be quite vicious this time of year and are not adverse to taking a wee nip out of an unwary birder's ankle!

llendorin said:
Oh, another nice option if you're even remotely interested in sea birds is The Isle of May , which has an astounding array of birds. (click the link for more info)
It's also got the added advantage of having the boat trip sail from Anstruther - home of Scotland's No.1 Fish and chip shop! :) (and local to me! :) )

Additionally, for your Raptor hunting, the Falls of Clyde reserve is worth a visit. They've got a resident pair of peregrines there. It also has an added advantage of location. The falls themselves are stunning, as is the village of New Lanark. Always a good tourist stop. You could even manage to stop off for their regular Badger watch to see their badgers, if you're interested.

Thanks for the info llendorin and also welcome to the forum
Happy Birding
JimMorris

Jim is into his trip now and I met him for the day at Dunkeld.

After an hour of watching the Osprey sitting deep in the nest with no sign of matey we set off on a round trip into the hills.

Glorious day we had, with a couple of Year Ticks for me - heard a Cuckoo at Loch of the Lowes and saw two Sandpipers at the top of Glen Quaich.

Jim will no doubt tell you more about our day on his return and post some pictures.

Nice to meet you Jim and hope the rest of your trip goes well for you.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back