• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

if the US is so cheap why don't we all buy there? (1 Viewer)

hi - childhood birder her. wants to take it up again - now in his 50s. will have early pension lump sum imminently and wants to buy - once and for all - a top range pair of bins and scope. (weighing up ultravids and FLs at present)
prices in the US are apparently so low; why does everyone not buy there by mail order? is there something i don't know about customs or something else?
thanks
phil

AFAIK most US companies won't ship to the UK and, even if they did, you should pay import tax which would take the price well above waht you'd pay in the UK.

Hi Phil,

On behalf of all the Moderators and Admin Staff, let me wish you a warm Welcome to BirdForum.

I suspect you have probably answred your questions yourself... the problem with many low prices in the states is the UK buyers forget about possible import taxes and customs duties, not to mention postage and insurance...

Even so some might consider it worth it.

Of course, if you then need to return the goods for any reason...!!!

I think it is possible, however, that good reputable suppliers may take advantage of the Worldwide Consumer Economy, and some deals might be hard to turn down. Probably in it's infancy though, at the moment.

Mind you, with cheaper air travel, it's understandable how some might take themselves to the product, and get a trip to the States thrown in, and still pay less than at home.

Before you do all that though, you might to checkout the warehouseexpress banner at the top of the page.

And before you do even THAT, take a good look around the site, and feel free to contribute.

Lookin' forward to "hearing" from you again!

:t:

Also add shipping costs - which chould be high on stuff like scopes etc.

Rich.

Edit - OK Birdman just mentioned that.

Mike Pennington said:
AFAIK most US companies won't ship to the UK and, even if they did, you should pay import tax which would take the price well above waht you'd pay in the UK.
an interesting observation. most things one buys abroad are still somewhat cheaper - even after the tax is paid. i believe that you can buy things in the states up to a value of about £500 without attracting import tax - but don't know if you can get a £500 ' allowance' on higher purchases - i guess this is one i can check with customs. Am relieved that this is the only reason people have so far come up with.

Uh oh: yues of course there is the matter of returns - thank you Birdman

Last edited:
Hi Phil, welome to birdforum.

I know there are threads on this issue in the photography forum but you generally have to keep at least 20% of the product price in hand in case C&E hold up your item.... 17.5% VAT + import duty which varies according to the item. Wth shippng costs, the prices don't look quite attractive and with some goods warranties won't be valid over here if things go wrong. An often overlooked factor is if you go abroad in future with this item, you could be stopped by customs and they may want to know where this item came from.... they are amazing at finding gear that was purchased abroad.

You pays yer money and takes your chance... i just saved £250 on a set of headphones.
regards,
Andy

am beginning to see that there really might be one or two very good reasons why i shouldn't start handing over my visa number to simpsons optics or who(m)ever. thank yu all for such speedy and informative replies. am off to look at warehouse express at the reco of b'man (thnaks b'man).

ps i tried some HG's at Barnes Infocus Wetland Centre - thought they were unbelievable (nb have been using several dud pairs for years) but heavy and some EL 8.5s in Dixon's Bond St - but have since been put off by tales of longwinded focussing - have since read about Ultravids and FL's but have had no chance to try them yet. Is there anything else at the top end of the market that i should be thinking about for all purpose bins? Any suggestions gratefully received.
phil

Andy Bright said:
An often overlooked factor is if you go abroad in future with this item, you could be stopped by customs and they may want to know where this item came from.... they are amazing at finding gear that was purchased abroad.

You pays yer money and takes your chance... i just saved £250 on a set of headphones.
regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy
A nice example of do as i say not as i do........?

Of course your other option is coming to New York to pick up some nice birds in spring or autumn (flights can be amazingly cheap if you shop around) and then buying some bins while you're here from a decent dealer.

Luke

philnotatwork said:
i had my tongue in my cheek - i hope you did.
no offence meant
phil
No problem Phil, overworked admin can read things the wong way at times. I don't think you're going to make big savings from buying abroad, i only made my recent purchase because it was exceptionally cheap direct from japan (and paid in US$)
It may be worth you hanging on and going to the birdfair in August to check out all the binos side by side.

I have bought from the US in the past, as I cannot get anything here in Vietnam. Import tax on expensive optics is 120%!!!!!, but I have gotten away in the past with a box of cigarettes and a bottle of cheap Whiskey (corruption does have its advantages) But that is probably not an option for the UK? As far as warranty goes, I had to send my Svarows (purchased in the US) for repairs to Austria, no hassle at all, didn't even pay for the FedEx.

Andy Bright said:
It may be worth you hanging on and going to the birdfair in August to check out all the binos side by side.

Would love to go to the birdfair - but unfortunately i shall be in france for the whole of august. are there similar events at other times of year?

I intend trying to buy a macro flash & a nice canon prime lens, I'll dump the boxes and come thru with them in my camera bags.
any comments?

Dan drough said:
I intend trying to buy a macro flash & a nice canon prime lens, I'll dump the boxes and come thru with them in my camera bags.
any comments?
Like I said, the guys at customs have an amazing ability to spot an import just on a quick visual check, let alone putting the serial number into a computer. You'll probably be o.k. but be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Give that lens a few big scratches and a few dents and you'll have no problem

Dan drough said:
any comments?

I'm told that pro photographers get a receipt for kit when they take it out of the country, in order that they can prove it was not bought overseas when they return. Otherwise I believe that you run the risk of confiscation. In the case of one small lens they probably do not care.

I don't know how rigidly its enforced but people entering the US from Canada are supposed to fill out a form listing items like cameras, lenses etc and giving the serial numbers. Coming back, if your equipment doesn't match the list, they can charge duty on each missing item.
It may not be the same for the UK.
Anyway, why spend your money in foreign countries if you don't have to when you could be supporting your local economy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back