• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

term for being annoyed by another birder (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Can anyone remind me of the term used to describe a situation in which, if I understand correctly, you go to see a rarity, fail miserably,but some other birder succeeds before you and then gloats about it? Something like 'He D.......ed me off', I think. Ta.

Never occurred to me before, but in real life, getting annoyed with persons involves getting 'ticked off' ...

(and you have to be quite careful about discussing getting gripped off in front of non-birders, naturally).

Thanks Guys. I'm teaching English to a bunch of 16 year olds, who obviously have tgeir own argot. They know I'm a birder, and feel terribly sorry for me as a result. I'm writing a little story for them as an exercise in trying to understand the lingo of an alternative subculture, using all the birding terms I can think of. 'Gripped off' eluded me; to be honest I've never actually heard anyone here using it, but I'll include it in the exercise anyway.

Thanks Guys. I'm teaching English to a bunch of 16 year olds, who obviously have tgeir own argot. They know I'm a birder, and feel terribly sorry for me as a result. I'm writing a little story for them as an exercise in trying to understand the lingo of an alternative subculture, using all the birding terms I can think of. 'Gripped off' eluded me; to be honest I've never actually heard anyone here using it, but I'll include it in the exercise anyway.

It's not something to be proud of, though sometimes when the youngsters get uppity its nice to murmur "Little Whimbrel" to put them back in their boxes.

You don't usually need to use the phrase: everyone (especially the grippee) knows when its happened! ;)

John

Can anyone remind me of the term used to describe a situation in which, if I understand correctly, you go to see a rarity, fail miserably,but some other birder succeeds before you and then gloats about it? Something like 'He D.......ed me off', I think. Ta.

Isnt to be "dicked off" to be led astray by a pager message? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back